Tires going from 26" with regular tires to 24" with balloon tires

metal

Local time
6:21 AM
I'm building a board track-inspired bike, and I want a 3 inch wide balloon tire out back, but there isn't quite room. It dawned on me that if I went down to a 24 inch rim, the 3 inch wide bricks would fit on the rear, especially since they're 2.7 inches wide on a rim (or so I've read). Has anyone else gone down a size in rims like this, did it look goofy or anything? I'm going to use a quick brick on the front and a thick brick on the rear, kinda for a more "motorcycle-y" look.

Gonna need new brakes and your crank will be alot lower to the ground and can mess you up going around a corner.

I've done the fat and skinny thing, 27 x 1¼ front and 26 x 2" rear in a cruiser, looked cool and rode fine. Actually increased ground clearance.

When I put a 26 x 1.5" wheel & tyre set in a 27" road bike frame the ride improved but the pedal clearance decreased like what darwin said, carefully round corners or you'll hang up on a pedal.

Love the Thick Bricks

Here they are for sale.. http://www.motostrano.com/fethbrcrti.html Just in case you were to ask where to get some.. I love how the thick bricks ride.

The El guapo utilizes the 24's and it just rides sweet.. I had to use a 5/8 offset motor mount to allow for proper chain clearance though. IMG_0999.JPG

Just ordered the Felt Vintage Iron Pursang Bultaco replica motostrano_2106_10462826.jpg Next build!

Last edited:
Hey Pirate...Is that one of Jim's motor mounts on the El guapo?

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

Domino,

Those are the mounts from AMPT. http://www.amptbikes.com/
They give a nice solid connection. Price wise not as much as the Ridley mounts but still kinda expensive. I have not received my Jim mounts yet. Cant wait to try them.

Justin
Pirate

Last edited:
Here they are for sale.. http://www.motostrano.com/fethbrcrti.html Just in case you were to ask where to get some.. I love how the thick bricks ride.

The El guapo utilizes the 24's and it just rides sweet.. I had to use a 5/8 offset motor mount to allow for proper chain clearance though. View attachment 26360

Just ordered the Felt Vintage Iron Pursang Bultaco replica View attachment 26361 Next build!

That bultaco replica Is one awesome ride.I can's wait to get the speed carb upgrade to go on the ported Intake I bought off you.Hey pirate.If you don't mind send me a pm later and recommend me a few bicycles with a hardcore frame beachcruiser or chopper style good for a 6'3 person that can handle a morini style motor.

Hey Pirate , have you revived jims motor mounts, i just bought a el guapo and need to get motor mounts. Do you have a link to this product, I've seen the amp mounts and they look good, just want to explore all my options, thanks a ton!

Working on it.

Hey Pirate , have you revived jims motor mounts, i just bought a el guapo and need to get motor mounts. Do you have a link to this product, I've seen the amp mounts and they look good, just want to explore all my options, thanks a ton!

No not yet. I am using the amped on that one.. I did send Jim a felt Revolver to make mounts for it I just don't know where he is with them. Lots of stuff cooking for the summer.

I do have a guy re-making me some Felt specific accessories in black. Heres the chain tensioner he did up. Look familiar. The Motor mounts will be here this week. The rear mount will articulate unlike the stationary Ridley rear mount. Ill update pics when they arrive.
IMG_1021.JPG

Justin

Cool thanks man I am gonna order the amped ones tonight, I thought he made mounts as a product already, I'm new to the forums. Look pretty sweet and that chain ten, hopefully it cost you a lot less than the ones I seen, ridiculous price they got em at. Thanks for the info and yeah still post those new mounts.

Back