Bike Security Cheap, secure Keylock ignition switch

KCvale

In memory of KCvale 1959 - 2019
Local time
3:53 PM
I know there are topics here about keylock switches, all I seen involve running a pair of wires to a switch somewhere.
Nice and all, but easy to defeat.

This is what I used to make mine.

key1.jpg

It is just the Keyboard Keylock switch you used to see on old beige desktop PC's, usually it was right next to the Turbo button.
(Ya, a long time ago, but that is when I started my computer business)

The point was to put the switch right in line with the coil ground wire where it enters the unit.

I could have just epoxied it like that but, but Radio Shack has little plastic project boxes for about $3 so I used part of one of those.

key2.jpg

I epoxied the box on and that was that.
Note I used a longer nicer looking shielded wire to the motor, what the heck right?

The key comes out in on or off position, so no dangling key, and no indication to someone else of the status.
Also, you can't hot wire it.
Even if you somehow break my epoxy filled box off, it will take the wires to the coil with it.

Cheap, easy, and secure.

Great idea. The only point I would add is to make sure you have a working coil first... It would suck to buy a new coil, add the switch/housing/epoxy, and THEN find out that the coil is a dud...

Great idea. The only point I would add is to make sure you have a working coil first... It would suck to buy a new coil, add the switch/housing/epoxy, and THEN find out that the coil is a dud...
Absolutely Crucial Point! Well done loquin ;-}
Your MB should run before you do this, and THEN, wire it up but DON'T EPOXY IT UNTIL YOU TEST IT AGAIN!.
With this design, once it's glued that's it. The wires will snap at the CDI if you try to take it off.

One other tip, once you test it in place but not glued it, rotate the keyswitch for where you want it aligned by where you mount it.
I find that 12 or 6 O'clock for on, and 3 or 9 O'clock for off is perfect. It is just like the gas line valves ;-}

Last edited:
Hook the 2 wires together going to the key switch and..............?

Hook the 2 wires together going to the key switch and..............?
Not both wires, just splice the switch in-line with one of them, the black ground wire at the CDI.
The CDI is isolated and won't function without it's own ground wire.
Turning the switch off simply removes the ground.

Couldn't you just put the whole CDI in a Dashboard box on the stering wheel by extending the wires and installing a Spark plug wire so the whole CDI and Keyswitch is protected.

Granted that is a good idea, and incredibly affordable. But, those locks aren't functional to my own liking... I've unlocked them with nothing more than paperclips or moose hairstyling product tips...

Now, a lot of this would be much more secure with inframe wiring, and as well - if we could lock the clutch from being disabled.

Yes that is exactly what I was thinking, maybe there could be a way to electronically lock the clutch, that way it would be impossible to get it to roll. Giving the owner more time to catch the perp.

But how do you make a cable nonfuntional, electronically or maybe just the lever?

Concerning your comment about in frame wiring you could use stuff that covers commercial Romex wire which is covered by a uuuuu... looks like snake metal armor... thats my best discription, but you can buy it separtely and you can still cut it to any length that you would need and it flexs really well. I think it comes in different sizes but don't quote me on that.

Last edited:
So, there's that cable stay thing for the clutch attached to the motor. Taking a SECOND cable lock, like for the clutch arm, put it between that motor mounted cable stay thing and the clutch arm. When you're away from the bike, screw it down. And, use a torx screw, or another kind of security screw. And I'm sure giving it enough thought we could find a way to key it.

Back