8 speed motor-bicycle on Honda GXH 50

I love your ingenuity! I have somewhat the same set-up using the staton gearbox, check out the pics at the picture gallery under my first mb. It uses a dual suspension GT frame. Your seat idea is cool! I have to get rid of the thin mountain seat that I have, it hurts after some time. Mine is geared for 30 mph, which for right now seems fast enough.

bob the boatbuilder

Thanks bob the boatbuilder! At you too a class design.

Design of a seat and truth very convenient and soft - it is possible long without being tired to go. The seat is made of the bicycle chamber by the fabric closed from above.

Now I had problems with staton gear box - one bearing of a shaft with clatch drum has appeared is strongly squeezed in a bore (a bore too little for the bearing) and the shaft began to rotate hardly. It is necessary to expand a bore for the bearing and then gear box will earn correctly. For now I go on Chinese gear box for pocket bike.

My friend too has bought staton gear box as from you - ratio 18,5:1 and it had to alter on the machine tool gear box - many bores for bearings were too small also shaft in bearings hard rotated.

8 speed shimano hub

my 8 speed shimano hub has lasted 6000km/3750mls driven from a gx35 motor...

because the 8 speed shimano hub runs in grease not oil...the needle bearings get hot because the bike runs at e.g. 40km/h for 1 hour (which a normal bike does not do) and the grease runs out of them, then they start to wear the shaft out and then they disintegrade (see attached image)...

the only way to make them last is to pull the internal assemply out regulary (easy and fast!) and regrease the whole lot especially the needle bearings.

my bike now runs with a rohloff hub:
bikemoto.wordpress.com

Attachments

• PICT0644.jpg
    PICT0644.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 2,940
Last edited:
my 8 speed shimano hub has lasted 6000km/3750mls driven from a gx35 motor...

Greetings Alexander!
I have some questions on your motor-bicycle:

How you have broken 8 speed shimano hub? You switched speed without reduction throttle?

What for cylinders in the bottom of a photo? Roller bearings?

What gear box is established on a motor-bicycle?

Why you have decided to pass on rohloff hub, instead of on NuVinci hub?

At you very harmonious device! The engine in a frame and Suspension Bikes! I want to put the engine on Suspension Bikes for comfort.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Ouch to pricetag though but good stuff costs. Be interested to know how the rohloff holds up over the miles. BTW, just saw your albums, don't know how I missed them!

i am also very interested in how long the rohloff will last...
for that price it needs to be at least 40000 km which is 5 years riding for me...
but even then...having to fork out big bucks to replace that hub every 5 years is not funny...
80000km/10 years would be more like it...

Greetings Alexander!
I have some questions on your motor-bicycle:

How you have broken 8 speed shimano hub? You switched speed without reduction throttle?

What for cylinders in the bottom of a photo? Roller bearings?

What gear box is established on a motor-bicycle?

Why you have decided to pass on rohloff hub, instead of on NuVinci hub?

At you very harmonious device! The engine in a frame and Suspension Bikes! I want to put the engine on Suspension Bikes for comfort.

Good luck!

i broke the 8 speed shimano hub by just riding along (NOT by changing gears without reducing revs/throttle)...the shafts (the needle bearings run on) were allready damaged so badly, as you can see in the photo, that it was just a matter of time before the hub disintegrated.

those cylinders in the bottom of the photo are the shafts that go inside the needle bearings in the photo and those needle bearings go inside the 3 gears that you can see in the photo.
that area is a tricky place for the grease to get back into.

i deceided on the rohloff hub because of its reputation for quality...but i would consider a nuvinci hub as many say that they can handle being driven by an electic or petrol motor:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23169
but, now having been spoiled by the 520% gear range of the rohloff (and i use all of that range riding offroad/trails) it would be hard to go back to a nuvinci/8 speed shimano hub type range of 350%/306%.

Last edited:
the only way to make them last is to pull the internal assemply out regulary (easy and fast!) and regrease the whole lot especially the needle bearings.

i have to take the above statement back...because i just remembered somebody on a forum saying that you can replace the lubrication (grease) in a shimano 8 speed internal gear hub with an oil bath (automatic transmiission fluid)...

the oil gets splashed around nicely and penetrates all parts constantly...lubricating and cooling everything...

here is an example (from 'hubstripping.com') of how to do it:

"bob carter

November 26, 2008 at 10:40 pm

Hi ‘Urb’
my ‘oil cap’ was just a short M5 posi screw with an o ring under it. You just have to avoid the races inside the outer casing, drill & tap ( don’t tighten the screw up too much either….) Yes, a long screw would foul the innards of the hub, there’s not much clearance!
The axle bearings are not sealed so if you tip the bike over all the oil will run out – just something to be continually aware of!!!"
http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/alfine-shimano/

and i think this is the site where he shows how he put an oil port in:
http://dr2chase.wordpress.com/2010/12/23/how-to-put-an-oil-port-into-an-internally-geared-hub/

the trick is the right amount of oil...too much and it gets squeezed out the seals that are not made for oil lubrication...too little and it does not get to all the parts...

here is somebody else (hubstripping.com) who had problems with the needle bearings and cages i mentioned above:

"Konstantin

February 27, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Those who consider changing the lubrication for an Alfine 8-speed might want to know that the planetary gears in the carrier unit run on tiny needle bearings – with rollers of around 1mm, and packed in some plastic cages.

I have a 2 year old hub (SG-S500 “B” type) destroyed by water ingress (IIRC it had only 4th and 8th speed in the end) so I took it apart to see what’s wrong, can it be cleaned/fixed, and how it works in general, and discovered the above. In my case, some of the rollers were shortened by rust – and in the process of rusting the rollers also partially destroyed those plastic cages. I de-rusted them chemically (Fertan gas tank rust treatment) after which I saw some of the rollers shorter than the other. I am not sure they’d last any significant amount of time if I’d try to re-use them, in particular – the cages..."

more from 'hubstripping':

"Aaron Goss

March 8, 2011 at 4:35 pm

...Oil Baths are exactly what needle bearings need. Grease is used on the gears to prevent wear and on the ball bearings to fill up the spaces and prevent water entry."

Last edited:
i broke the 8 speed shimano hub by just riding along (NOT by changing gears without reducing revs/throttle)...the shafts (the needle bearings run on) were allready damaged so badly, as you can see in the photo, that it was just a matter of time before the hub disintegrated.

those cylinders in the bottom of the photo are the shafts that go inside the needle bearings in the photo and those needle bearings go inside the 3 gears that you can see in the photo.
that area is a tricky place for the grease to get back into.

You speak that because of a gear wheel overheat have broken?
And how long without interruption you go for a drive?
Probably because of long work without interruption greasing is squeezed out from bearings and gears and the overheat begins. And if to go it is not a lot of with breaks - greasing has time to return to bearings.
I more than 50-60 miles usually don't go. I go not on Alfine 8 speed hub, and on SHIMANO Nexus Inter 8 Lite hub.
I have a friend who on usual SHIMANO Nexus Inter 8 hub without bearings (the cheap version) has passed 6500 kilometers (4000 miles) and at it hub has broken from the burst spring shifter. It has disassembled hub and gears were as it should be - there were no broken off teeths. Gears were in norm and were polished.

I think if to go with breaks and to grease the plug of times in 4000 - 5000 kilometers (2500 - 3100 miles) that problems as at you shouldn't be.

Back