Gasbike.net Heavy Duty Freewheel Axle

Yes. When you want to stop.

But...

If you're coasting, with the bike going faster than the motor would drive it, there's virtually no drag. so, you can coast down hill with the motor at an idle (no engine braking.) It also means that you won't have the possibility of wrecking a two-stroke engine by having it run at high speeds without lubrication...

as you bring the engine RPM up to the point where the chain will be moving faster than the teeth of the rear sprocket, the pawls inside the freewheel 'catch' and you start to accelerate.

BTW. If you want a really heavy duty freewheel hub, take a look at Staton's. When I was talking to the Wheelmaster (when he built my front hub) he said that Staton's rear hub was the toughest bicycle hub that he had ever worked with.

Last edited:
Lou, your link didn't take me to a freewheel hub by Staton. I am interested, I burned the bearings in my Grubee version after 3000 miles. I replaced the bearings, and bought some SKF's that will fit so I'll be ready the next time, but I'm interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about that, Van. I updated the link. He makes the hubs in 28 hole through 48 hole, 12 or 14 gage. Here's the link for the 14 gage, 32 hole hub that shows a freewheel mounted. (the photo's slightly fuzzy, though...)

Last edited:
Thank you Lou. It looks like that freewheel has a 22t sprocket, I'm running a 24? maybe 26, because that's the lowest I could go with the Grubee because of clearance issues. And, though I've had some difficulty with Staton's service, their quality has always been top notch. This may get me back into dealing with them. Thank you.

Back