Gasbike.net Heavy Duty Freewheel Axle

The heavy duty axle freewheel kit would most likely be used when a jack shaft kit is installed. Since the power is transfered from the engine drive gear through the jack shaft to the jack shaft sprocket (front sprocket attached to the axle). There would definitely be more torque, wear and tear on it, hence the option for both a standard and heavy duty, much like using cheap Chinese hardware and a grade 8.8). As far as a heavy duty axle and sprocket on a non jack shaft bike I feel is a waste of both time and money. Out of the millions, no billions of bikes sold from the cheapest to the most expensive..how many have you seen that either the axle and or the front sprocket failed. My son has 3000+ miles on his bike (only form of transportation for the past 15 years), and has never had a issue with the stock sprockets. Ridden from Orlando, FL to Lawrenceville, GA in 11 days. I plan on installing a jack shaft kit sometime this year and will most likely use the heavy duty axle and sprocket. I'm NOT looking for increased speed, I'm wanting to cut the RPM's down at the same speed.

Now I have a question, with a jack shaft installed do you have a option of peddle starting and pull rope starting, or just pull rope start?

Last edited:
Gasbike.net Heavy Duty Freewheel Axle
This is a replacement for the rag mount sprocket supplied with the cg kits that so many of us are using. This kit is installed into the rim of your choice by you or your local bike shop. you supply the cassett sprockets for the right side and this kit supplies a sprocket on the left for the engine to drive.

OK got ya. They make a standard and heavy duty "crankshaft" and sprocket also...correct?.. and in that kit why is a pull start (if that is what I see) included???

Thanks to Al and TJ... I was picturing a jackshaft application at first, too, but then I saw the big ol' drive sprocket and thought I must be on the wrong track.

Still, a replacement for the rag mount drive sprocket is a plus in my book, although that one doesn't look like it'd be on par with the clamshell style mounts some of the other vendors sell like these:

Clamshell Sprocket Adapter

As for the heavy axles, I've never had a rear axle fail (although I've ruined my share of rear wheels with chain tensioners through spokes and whatnot). I have had a front axle fail at full throttle, though, and that ended in a pretty bad superman-style-faceplant wreck, and strong axles always get my attention ever since. +1 for helmets, +2 for full face helmets.

Anyhow, I'm off on a tangent there... What I was really curious about are the flywheel and no flywheel options. Gasbike.net appears to be selling a drive sprocket with a flywheel, although their product descriptions are atrocious and hardly describe the product at all. If they really are putting a flywheel on the drive sprocket, how does it work and what is it for? I guess I could roll the bike backwards without disengaging the clutch, but that's not too much help as far as I can tell. As a matter of fact, that would be a distinct disadvantage on a steep uphill grade. :D Surely I'm missing something here.

and in that kit why is a pull start (if that is what I see) included???

lol... I was wondering the same thing. That cover must be for something else, because why would a pull start cover come with an axle and drive sprocket kit? Maybe somebody just took a picture of a bunch of random **** they had in the shop and posted it on the website?

The freewheel is useful to reduce the drag of the chain and sprockets moving when the engine isn't driving the bike. The unit without freewheel is used for engines without a pull start so that bump starting is used.

Ah... I've never used a pull start engine before, so I guess that's why I was having a hard time wrapping my head around the freewheel. I still don't totally get it, though... if it freewheels when the bike is rolling FWD, how could the chain drive the sprocket without it freewheeling?

I use a freewheel hub on my trike. It makes the motor drive and the pedal drive totally independent. Bump starting is impossible with a left side freewheel. I have electric start.

Grubee HD axle kit

I was browsing some vendors to grab a new throttle cable, and I stumbled across this at gasbike.net:

Heavy Duty Axle kit free wheel

Can anybody elaborate on what exactly this is for? They also have one without the freewheel:

Heavy Duty Axle kit(non free wheel)

I've been using the HD free wheel version for about 9 months. I like it.
Check out my previous posts
http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=21652

http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=26544

Back