Clutch roller (a must have item)

I just happen to have to two pulleys like that.
I took them off the bottom of an old sliding glass door and mounted them above the new door on the wall at each end.
I used weed whipper line and a plastic water bottle as a counter weight to make it a self closing door.
It looks easy enough to make a mounting plate for it and the cable end to put one back to use ;-}

It's very simple to make, just that some don't have the materials or tools needed. I use a 3/4"X3/4" 14ga angle iron, 2-3" in length. braze a 10mm nut, drill a hole for the roller and mounting bolt, paint and there you go. The rollers I use (ball bearing and not nylon) are in fact door rollers sold at Home Depot, Lowe's and many hardware stores.

1. angle iron 3/4" X 3/4" 14ga 3' stick $6.47 (makes approx 12)
2. roller pk of 2 @ $4.65 (makes 2)
3. 1 10mm nut $.10 est I buy a box of 100
4. 1 10mm nylon locking nut est $.15, I buy a box of 100
5. 1 10mmX40mm bolt (used with jackshaft) either 4 or 5 to a pack $1.50
6. fuel to store and back $2.65
7. #6 aviation bolt with locking nut (for roller)
8. paint
9. First Class PO $1.56

Tools needed
Cut off saw or hack saw
Grinder or file
drill and 2 drill bits
gas torch
brass brazing rod

Last edited:
I found out that if you upgrade the clutch cable to a brake cable it's a lot thicker and lasts longer. Brake cables have those plastic covers in the curve of the cable where it attaches to the brake which can be use to increase the cable's life when installed as a clutch cable. My first one snapped because of fray (within 2 weeks) The brake cable hasn't given me any problems whatsoever because of that plastic sleeve.

It is a nice part to have, I fabricated one for a customer who had a cable fraying problem IMG_20150106_161258_969.jpg

Back