Motorized Rocky Mountain RM7 -Super Motard-

Hi,
I finally got my winter project ready to ride...I decided on a Subaru-Robin 4 stroke 35cc & Front belt drive powertrain providing 2 wheel drive (since I am an avid cyclist & enjoy pedaling). The front drive is a rim hoop, JB welded to the front rim & an automotive standard notched 78" V-Belt with a skateboard wheel tensioner & a 1.5" front V-pulley from McMaster Carr. The gear ratio is similar to a friction drive without the need for jackshafts or further reduction.The mount is just some steel bar & 'L' brackets found at the local Lowe's Home Improvement store. I wanted to keep this project cheap & under the price of any kit available such as Gebe/BMP/Staton/Friction & with no welding. I am good at hacksawing & drilling but nothing more hi tech than that...lol. I got the new Subaru engine/clutch housing from Staton off eBay w/Bing discount for $248 & the rest was under $50. The throttle is a bicycle brake lever mounted to the left side handlebar above the front disc brake lever. The 7" front suspension still works perfectly & well matched to the 7" travel suspension in the rear...
-Lowracer-

Attachments

• Picture 044.jpg
    Picture 044.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 4,293
  • Picture 041.jpg
    Picture 041.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 1,014
  • Picture 045.jpg
    Picture 045.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 1,502
  • Picture 047-1.jpg
    Picture 047-1.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 1,443
  • Picture 048.jpg
    Picture 048.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 915
  • Picture 049.jpg
    Picture 049.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,028
Last edited:
If it works as good as it looks, you will be one happy camper.
JB welded rim will make the stock rim stronger. Great idea! I love your ingenuity!

That bike looks completely awesome. Are those 700c rims and tires on there? If they are they certainly wouldn't be my first choice. But i live in a very rough pot hole infested road no matter what time of year it is. i need something that is a little less prone to bending themselves all out of shape when i hit a pot hole.
But that is just me. Once again awesome bike.

The rims are the stock 26" MTB (559) wide Sun Rhyno's. The tires are narrow high pressure 1.5 slicks for MTB's. These roll real fast & dont get many flats. The 7" of plush suspension keep the potholes & curbs from giving pinch flats.

Thanks for the info. I've already toasted 2 700c rear rims on my electric bike. And the speeds i get from it don't come anywhere close to the speeds i get with my gas bike. They are both hardtails and the 26 x 2.00 on the gas bike have never once gotten out of true or gone flat. Your rims and tires sound the the ultimate setup to me though.

Agreed, smaller wheels are stronger wheels when all other factors are the same (spoke guage & count, rim thickness & width). I chose this bike to motorize since it is a Downhill/Freeride bike & built extra tough for that purpose @ 42 lbs stock.

The thing hanging off the back of the seatpost is a water bottle holder. They are commonplace on Time-trial/Triathlon bicycles but I use it to hold two 22 oz MSR Fuel bottles full of unleaded gasoline for longer distances between gas station visits. I use two velco straps around each fuel bottle to totally secure them to each bottle cage (no jumping out gas tanks):cry: I just added a few more pics showing the MSR tanks & new larger Kryptos skateboard wheel belt tensioner.

Last edited:
lowracer: i can fully appreciate everything about your "Motor-Assisted-Bicycle" and your pedaling-attitude...clearly, you've been "read read read"-ing a lot of stuff at MBc...i think your creation is awesome :cool:

Last edited:
Augidog,
The people & info on this website are awesome...Discovering motoredbikes.com has really sparked my interest & imagination to make this project happen. Many thanks to all who contribute here...
-Lowracer- :unsure:

Back