Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Motorized Rocky Mountain RM7 -Super Motard-

Hi,
    I finally got my winter project ready to ride...I decided on a Subaru-Robin 4 stroke 35cc & Front belt drive powertrain providing 2 wheel drive (since I am an avid cyclist & enjoy pedaling). The front drive is a rim hoop, JB welded to the front rim & an automotive standard notched 78" V-Belt with a skateboard wheel tensioner & a 1.5" front V-pulley from McMaster Carr. The gear ratio is similar to a friction drive without the need for jackshafts or further reduction.The mount is just some steel bar & 'L' brackets found at the local Lowe's Home Improvement store. I wanted to keep this project cheap & under the price of any kit available such as Gebe/BMP/Staton/Friction & with no welding. I am good at hacksawing & drilling but nothing more hi tech than that...lol. I got the new Subaru engine/clutch housing from Staton off eBay w/Bing discount for $248 & the rest was under $50. The throttle is a bicycle brake lever mounted to the left side handlebar above the front disc brake lever. The 7" front suspension still works perfectly & well matched to the 7" travel suspension in the rear...
    -Lowracer-

Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by lowracer; 03-07-2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: added pics

Thanks

If it works as good as it looks, you will be one happy camper.
    JB welded rim will make the stock rim stronger. Great idea! I love your ingenuity!

Thanks

That bike looks completely awesome. Are those 700c rims and tires on there? If they are they certainly wouldn't be my first choice. But i live in a very rough pot hole infested road no matter what time of year it is. i need something that is a little less prone to bending themselves all out of shape when i hit a pot hole.
    But that is just me. Once again awesome bike.

Thanks

The rims are the stock 26" MTB (559) wide Sun Rhyno's. The tires are narrow high pressure 1.5 slicks for MTB's. These roll real fast & dont get many flats. The 7" of plush suspension keep the potholes & curbs from giving pinch flats.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I've already toasted 2 700c rear rims on my electric bike. And the speeds i get from it don't come anywhere close to the speeds i get with my gas bike. They are both hardtails and the 26 x 2.00 on the gas bike have never once gotten out of true or gone flat. Your rims and tires sound the the ultimate setup to me though.

Thanks

btw what do you have hanging of the back of your seat post? I have no idea what it is.

Thanks

Agreed, smaller wheels are stronger wheels when all other factors are the same (spoke guage & count, rim thickness & width). I chose this bike to motorize since it is a Downhill/Freeride bike & built extra tough for that purpose @ 42 lbs stock.

Thanks

The thing hanging off the back of the seatpost is a water bottle holder. They are commonplace on Time-trial/Triathlon bicycles but I use it to hold two 22 oz MSR Fuel bottles full of unleaded gasoline for longer distances between gas station visits. I use two velco straps around each fuel bottle to totally secure them to each bottle cage (no jumping out gas tanks) I just added a few more pics showing the MSR tanks & new larger Kryptos skateboard wheel belt tensioner.
    Last edited by lowracer; 03-07-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks

Thumbs up

lowracer: i can fully appreciate everything about your "Motor-Assisted-Bicycle" and your pedaling-attitude...clearly, you've been "read read read"-ing a lot of stuff at MBc...i think your creation is awesome
    Last edited by augidog; 03-07-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: finally got the guy's name right ;)

Thanks

Augidog,
    The people & info on this website are awesome...Discovering motoredbikes.com has really sparked my interest & imagination to make this project happen. Many thanks to all who contribute here...
    -Lowracer-

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast