Chains 410 vs 415 drive chain, catasrophic failure brand new engine

picture.php

This is the Tractor Supply co tensioner that I'm adding to the bike via a replacement bolt in the gear case cover. I'm waiting for a special order 6mmx1.00*75 screw.

What is wrong with your HD wheel? I have been thinking of buying one of those, esp as a replacment if I ever wear out this coaster hub.

Last edited:
hey, cheapskate. My main issue with the hd wheel is the threaded hub. The sprocket mount on the fixed sprocket setup does not have a set screw or jamnut to deal with the unthreading force encountered when turning the engine over. I threw my clutch, the sprocket stayed put, and the wheel kept turning, unthreading the mount. I am thinking of drilling and tapping the mount for a set screw to deal with this problem.

There is a detailed description of my experience with the wheel in the parts forum. I had to have my first wheel replaced after stripping the hub threads. I have not put a single mile on an HD wheel yet. It is failing before I can even get rolling.

I am not sure that spooky still sells 'em. The listing wasn't on their website when I checked. I am selling one for a 4-stroke on the craig & in the sales forum. It has a coasting sprocket mount for centrifugal clutches and no hand brake.

Last edited:
finally...

Now that everything is up and running, I thought I'd post a few pics of my rig. She ain't the prettiest, but she's all mine.:smug2:
Thanks For all the help. The #41 chain rocks, and it was cheap too. Best chain choice imo.

Peace & Love

hms-one

Attachments

• DSCI0535.JPG
    DSCI0535.JPG
    440.8 KB · Views: 546
  • DSCI0536.JPG
    DSCI0536.JPG
    440.3 KB · Views: 511
  • DSCI0537.jpg
    DSCI0537.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 525
  • DSCI0538.JPG
    DSCI0538.JPG
    444.5 KB · Views: 645
It looks good.

see thread Chain Tensioner Related Accidents for more about build. (no accident, just thread about solving the problem.)

Last edited:
i have found that the #41 chain works great because the origonal chain i screwed up by making it too short..... lol but tracor suply co and eny ag dealer as well as car dealers carry it.. its alittle wider than 415 but it alows for alittle play in the sprocket and runs smothly!

I finally got around to fitting a narrower drive sprocket and a 410 chain a few days ago. Now it runs the way it should, and clearance from the crankcase and side-cover has improved heaps.
The 415H is gone forever.
As long as everything is aligned correctly, the 410 can't be beaten.
The 415 ran on the collar of the sprocket, instead of properly engaging the teeth.

Don't know if it has already been mentioned, but have you beveled the teeth on the wheel sprocket...both sides just a tab as that they are NOT squared off? Had a problem of my chain jumping off on my first build...now I do it to all builds.

Al Fisherman. Good idea. Did you file the teeth on only one side, to compensate for chainline. Or did you file both sides (pointed teeth) to deal with chain jumping and/or narrow chains?

Don't know if it has already been mentioned, but have you beveled the teeth on the wheel sprocket...both sides just a tab as that they are NOT squared off? Had a problem of my chain jumping off on my first build...now I do it to all builds.

Good point, Ron, but not necessary in my case. I'm running a shift kit and don't have a LHS sprocket on my wheel.
The LHS shift-kit sprocket is pretty good straight out of the box.

Are you still thinking of buying a shift kit?

Back