Chains 410 vs 415 drive chain, catasrophic failure brand new engine

we've got some of those new tensioners that attach to the motor - tried them on a few bikes, but they will not feed chain properly onto rear sprocket, or they won't pull it off of dragging on the rear fork arm - they just sit too far forward to affect the area back by the rear wheel where all the alignment problems happen

they should work on some bikes, but just don't seem to be universal enough for all

Thanks for the posts guys. Some of that damage may have been caused from the one and only time it tossed the chain, prior to running a tensioner. Aside from that, I can't think of a single time the chain was ever impacted, but I do see what you guys are seeing. We were using the bike as a pit bike at a dragstrip in Ohio this past weekend, so it was being shared by 3 of us. And go figure, it came back to me at some point with this chain damage, so there's no telling what someone else might have done to it.

But it is good to know what even lower quality chains aren't normally susceptible to this type of failure. I'll throw a lubed #41 on it and probably never have to worry about it again.

we've got some of those new tensioners that attach to the motor - tried them on a few bikes, but they will not feed chain properly onto rear sprocket, or they won't pull it off of dragging on the rear fork arm - they just sit too far forward to affect the area back by the rear wheel where all the alignment problems happen

they should work on some bikes, but just don't seem to be universal enough for all
It's been a great tensioner for me. Though I do see your point. It seems to work so well for me because of how close my engine is to my rear sprocket and how short that makes the chain.

My turn to toss out my thread necromancer card. I love my 410 hd chain I bought from my local bike shop. Its lasted over a year and a half on crazy hills with 20:1+ gearing (I switch out from time to time). I easily have over 5k miles on this chain. Chain clearance is awesome and extra acceleration from a lighter chain is night and day from 415. I see no reason to use a larger chain unless using a race engine.

Back