Chains 410 vs 415 drive chain, catasrophic failure brand new engine

Let me show you just how terrible my chain is, yet I have never had a single derailment. Why? Because I keep my chain tensioned properly.

I don't maintain my chains. I just don't. I'm lazy and I'm a procrastinator. It's who I am and I make do with it. I blame nobody but myself. I went almost all winter before I decided it was time to remove that chain and clean it. It had so many bound up links from rust it was ridiculous. I spent an entire 12.5hr shift at work soaking this in WD-40 and reworking it to get the rust out and get it moving freely again. So much material had rusted away that it effectively changed the chains pitch. Look closely at the top and bottom of the sprocket. See how it looks like the chain doesn't fit the sprocket? It's because it doesn't. But, because I keep the chain under proper tension at all times, it never derails. NEVER.

Keep your chains under proper tension and it doesn't matter what you're dealing with, it won't derail. If this still doesn't convince you that you're doing it wrong, you're 100% hopeless and good luck in your endeavors.

Click this image for a bigger resolution.

ok,now if i put my supplied chain against the chain you have in the pic,you would see what i'm talking about.i dont think the present grubee kits have the same quality chain as what you are running.

This is a great thread. I am having the same issues with my 49 CC raw on a beach cruiser. Chain keeps popping. I really want to try the # 41 chain AND I also saw and rode a bike that has the Sprocket adapter that attaches to the hub and then uses three bolts, not nine, to attach the sprocket. Piston Bikes has a combo package of the sprocket and adapter for $74.00 If it really installs and works as cleanly as the bike I rode it would be worth it. They claim it alligns everything better, no pressure on the spokes etc. Piston says the combo will only work with the 415 chain only. Anyone have any experience with this? While it sure seems an elegant solution, I would rather pay one sixth of the price, buy ten feet of # 41 chain and if that remedies the situation - great! (and I will have a whole lot leftover)

Any thoughts here?

thanks

Showcaller

so,piston bikes has a sprocket that is exclusive to their hub?
that is something i dont agree with.they have great products,and the 41 chain may fit,but the sprocket may need to be milled a little,as the width of the chain is different.
i would look around and see if anything else is available in a similar setup that would accept stock style sprockets.

i went to tractor supply and bought the 41 chain and let me tell you my chain popping off problem is solved thank you for your advice.

I allso didnt have to pay for shipping and handling lol. It was like 20 dollars and enough chain to do 2 bikes. Much better quality than the 410 chain that came with the kit.

Kip Spring Tensioner

I allso didnt have to pay for shipping and handling lol. It was like 20 dollars and enough chain to do 2 bikes. Much better quality than the 410 chain that came with the kit.

Congratulations on your new found success with the 41 roller chain! Unfortunately I had to take my 41 roller chain off as it was not compatible with the Kip spring tensioner set-up becuase it is too thick. I purchased a 410 bicycle engine chain from BikeBerry and it is working very well. No more adjusting the darn tensioner wheel. I have even tension at all times. I can finally say my bike is at 100% operational capacity. I guess now something is going to break since that is they way things usually happen. I have 1,315 miles on this engine.

Chain size is a pain. My motor kit came with a 415?.. I got it last year. I changed from a 40 tooth M&M rear sprocket to a 48 tooth. The old chain fit just fine the new 415h is to wide. A new master link is to wide. I orderd a new Tricycle chain and now Im wondering if it will fit my counter sprocket ok On my z280. I also went to a 2" rim and now Im going to a 1.75 rear tire for chain clearence. I also see there is a 190/26" tire but a didnt see it in whitwall? Any one have info?? Thanks

I have a new z280 engine kit and the only chain I could get to work was the Tricycle chain it's a 415 from pirate cycles.

Back