Canadian Letter Writing Campaign

Neon, as I understand it, if it was made by a recognized manufacturer you are golden. If CTC sold it there should be no problem. It's just if you built your own that they can give you grief. That and gas motors.

Mine is definately home made and that covers my tail feathers.

Steve.

Well I am a NH resident down in the states. We have a summer place up in Kouchibouguac.

I am thinking I could get a license plate for my 80cc centermount schwinn down here. It is actually not registrable according to NH law, but you can get a moped plate by just walking in.

I wouldn't use the plate down here, just when I go to Canada. If you have a moped in the states, you can use it in Canada - the authorities up there honor USA moped licensing. Are the local police in NB going to check that it is a VALID moped license anyway ?

Hope I am not offending anyone - just thought I would float this out there to see what people think would happen.

:)))

BigKid

chrisnbush, where is Richmond? sounds familiar. I lived in Concord, Boscowen and North Conway. My son still lives in Deering.

As for your question, yes they will look up the registration in Concord on thier computer using your plate.

The fines can be huge since you are on a motor vehicle that is unlicensed, unregistered and uninsured in Canada. Fines vary by Province but some reports from Ontario say the fines there have reached as high as $3,000. Depends on the officers mood. If you have a plate on the bike that is not registered to it or the vin# doesn't match it will get even worse.

The local police that you will run into will most probably be the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
Think FBI in a squad car.

Steve.

Geez, so much for that - "FBI in a squad car" I get the picture.

Richmond is 10 miles south of Keene, southwest corner of the state. I work at the college (KSC), but I do a lot of posting on this forum.

Thanks, Steve. Thinking I might just get two older mopeds and fix them over the winter - for my wife and I.

Chrisnbush, ya, the RCMP/Mounties are a federal police force who act as State Police in 8of the ten provinces and the territories that don't have a Provincial Police force. They also act as our national security and do every thing the FBI do.

I'm building an electric powered bike and sidecar and I'm looking for a moped to do any long distance riding. The days of poking the angry bear in the backside with a short stick are over. I'm just too slow anymore.

Going back east this summer to look for a house in P.E.I.

Steve.

Using US Licensed Bike in Canada

If the local police or RCMP stop you while riding the bike you describe, they will ticket you for operating a motor vehicle that is not compliant with CMVSS regulations. They do not like gas-powered bicycles. They could also go so far as to confiscate it. We have a lot of experience with regard to compliance in Canada and among the provinces and I would not risk what you are proposing.
:helmet:

Well I am a NH resident down in the states. We have a summer place up in Kouchibouguac.

I am thinking I could get a license plate for my 80cc centermount schwinn down here. It is actually not registrable according to NH law, but you can get a moped plate by just walking in.

I wouldn't use the plate down here, just when I go to Canada. If you have a moped in the states, you can use it in Canada - the authorities up there honor USA moped licensing. Are the local police in NB going to check that it is a VALID moped license anyway ?

Hope I am not offending anyone - just thought I would float this out there to see what people think would happen.

:)))

BigKid

bc motor vehicle act.

i will say this again-[rsbc 1996]chapter 318 motor vehicle act british columbia.note this is still current.MOTOR VEHICLE means a vehicle,not run on rails,that is designed to be self propelled or propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires,but does not include a motor assisted cycle.im am not responsible for this paragraph or its content.:sick:

Back