Canadian Letter Writing Campaign

bgoates

Local time
5:28 AM
The potential penalty cost of operating a motor vehicle without insurance, license, headlights, tail lights,and signal lights can easily add up to thousands of dollars if I happen to get a cop who had a fight with his wife that morning or a bad cup of coffee. This is more risk than I wish to assume.

I think the only chance we have in changing this situation is a letter writing campaign to our Minister of Transportation, MP and MLA's.

We need to have a few members submit template letters which can easily be cut and pasted along with a directory of MP's and MLA's email addresses. If we make it easy to do and these politicians get hundreds of letters it may make a difference.

You can start by emailing the Minister John Baird of Transport Canada at mintc@tc.gc.ca

Followup with letters to your MP and MLA....be sure to include your name and address.

For background information see the thread "Attention Canadians"

Please start writing your letters and posting them on this thread for others to use as templates !

Good luck !!!

I totally agree.

I don't understand why the only "legal" type of "MB" in the whole country should be electric's. I think that gas powered MB's should be allowed even if they were to impose some (strict) regulations regarding safety, power output etc. Perhaps even some sort of inspection to ensure rider safety would be acceptable IMHO, if that would be what it takes to make them legal.

Just yesterday I talked to some old lady who said that her sister rides a "better" electric and easily rides at "30 clicks" even up steep hills with no pedaling. Well that's about what my MB does going up a steep hill. Whats the difference then for pete's sake? Surely the government makes more off gasoline taxes then off of electricity taxes, if anything gas powered MB's would make them more money then electric's would.

I understand that a store bought electric is "factory motorized" which a home built gas powered unit isn't, which may be the main issue (in the authorities eyes). But I think this should be negated by the fact that a "home MB builder" (or should I say somebody capable of building a MB) is much more likely to use decent quality bike components (being aware of the added stress, vibes etc.) that are "up to the task" compared to a chinese factory churning out electrics built "to a price" for crappy tire and other stores. Also, the "home MB builder" (being "mechanically inclined") is probably much more likely to do proper routine bicycle maintenance then the "average Joe" who buys an electric and just keeps on riding it until something major fails.

Also, the "home MB builder" is probably aware of the fact that his contraption is currently illegal in Canada, and thus much more likely to ride in a safe, "low profile" manor so as not to attract unwanted attention from the authorities (compared to many kids on regular bicycles and even pedestrians who seem to think that they are "king of the road".

Interestingly enough- I live in a rural area, and everybody who I talk to (including one friendly police officer) about motorized bicycles thinks that they are legal. When I tell them that they are NOT, they don't want to believe me (they see no reason why they shouldn't be) and they usually say "no, no, they ARE legal if they are under 48cc". This leads me to believe that MB's must have been legal in some point in Canadian history...

Hmm, I think that I may indeed edit this post a bit and send it to the email address posted above, for whatever difference it may make. Something HAS TO BE DONE!

bgoates and other canadian members, please DO post other relevant email addresses for me to send this to if you find any.

Dilly Bar Rob

Canada

What's the current law in Canada?

You're not allowed at ALL? to have a bicycle with a gas motor on it?

What's the current law in Canada?

You're not allowed at ALL? to have a bicycle with a gas motor on it?

Nope. The only province (Alberta) that to my knowledge DID allow motorized bicycles (gas engine) finally banned them this year:eek:. It seems that how much the po-lice are "out to get you" varies across the country. I hear that Ontario & most big cities are pretty bad. Personally I have never had any troubles (yet...) but I would still rather ride legally.

Only electric MB's are allowed. Here is what ICBC's website says (applies to BC but I assume that most provinces are similar) :

Motor-assisted cycles
What is a motor-assisted cycle (MAC)?

A MAC is a two- or three-wheeled cycle with a seat, pedals and an electric motor that is 500 watts or less. MACs cannot be gas-powered.

Because of their wide-ranging appearance, MACs can be easily confused with other types of motorized, two-wheeled vehicles, such as low-powered motorcycles or scooters.

Important: Know for sure whether you are riding a MAC. MACs have unique licensing, insurance and operating requirements.
Rules for using MACs

To ride a MAC, you must

* be 16 or older, and
* wear a bicycle helmet.

However, MAC riders are not required to

* have a driver's licence, or
* register, license or insure their MAC (though insurance may be available under a homeowner's policy).

The only other category they have is:

"Mopeds" (limited-speed motorcycles)

To operate a moped

* it must be registered, licensed and insured for road use,
* you must have a full-privilege driver's licence (any class) or a Class 6 or 8 learner licence, and
* you must wear a helmet.

Clearly, a gas engine motorized bicycle can not be registered, licensed and insured. You could probably get a VIN for it, but then it would have to be inspected to pass as a moped... I think by the time (& money...) you would need to make it "worthy" (if at all possible) you would be better off just buying a moped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty stupid..

Moped or electric bicycle.
With nothing in between.

I guess they only want you to buy something that meets safety standards for the appropriate type of vehicle.

Oh well, I guess if you REALLY NEED A gas powered bicycle, you would have to move out of Canada or get ALOT of people to start a petition to get them legalized.

I guess that's the point of this thread.

How do we get a petition going? Lets do this!

Oh, and I looked at Ontario's laws yesterday, interestingly enough they state that: "a moped is a motor-assisted bicycle fitted with pedals...". This is really confusing, it's like they are trying to allow/ban devices that they don't even know how to define. I mean, clearly a MOPED is not a motor assisted bicycle, even though that's what it was at some point in history the modern moped is something quite different then a bike with a motor on it....

I keep looking at definitions across Canada, looking for a loophole or some "grey" area. Unfortunately the lawmakers seem to have been pretty thorough. :

Operators of motorized cycles that don’t qualify as MACs are considered motorcycles and are subject to offences under the MVA if operated improperly, including:
No vehicle licence $109
No insurance $598
No driver's licence $138
Ride motorcycle without required helmet $138
Operating a motor vehicle not equipped as required, e.g., if the MAC motor size limit is exceeded then LSM equipment is required $109

Also, I ran over some more "specific" definitions yesterday (cant find right now), they stated that "MAC's" cannot be equipped with gas powered generator to charge the batteries....There goes the idea of getting around the problem with a gas/electric bike.

Also, I ran over some more "specific" definitions yesterday (cant find right now), they stated that "MAC's" cannot be equipped with gas powered generator to charge the batteries....There goes the idea of getting around the problem with a gas/electric bike.

That's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard...
Why wouldn't you be able to have a small trailer to the bike with a small generator... That's just mean and there is no reason for them to restrict that too.

That's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard...
Why wouldn't you be able to have a small trailer to the bike with a small generator... That's just mean and there is no reason for them to restrict that too.

Sad but so, I managed to find the definition again, here's the link for anybody who wants to "read up":

http://www.veloteq.com/laws_bc_electric_bicycles.htm

Quote:
4 A motor assisted cycle must not be equipped with a generator, alternator or similar device powered by a combustion engine.

I also noticed something that I didn't see before:
NOTE: In addition to the above the requirements the bicycles must be marked in accordance with the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

So, even if you build an electric bike yourself you are apparently still not legal, as the bike will not have a little sticker saying that it complies with the "Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act". Could you get one? I doubt it :eek:

years of research here

the newest bc motor vehicle act states-[motor vehicle] means a vehicle,not run on rails,that is designed to be self propelled or propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires,BUT DOES NOT INCLUDE A MOTOR ASSISTED CYCLE!............that is the motor vehicle status.the powers that be are all messed up you cannot liscense a bicycle,a bicycle is a bicycle.i have one but its a complete joke. legalese definitions are made so you cannot understand them, its another language.i wish you guys luck.i have some paper work still from talking to ministers of transport etc.that i could send out but there useless.theyve all heard from me,its all about control and money.im building a 10 hp ebike right now,but its still 500watts legal limit,o boy gotta be legal haha:devilish:

As the "manufacturer" of my own ebike why can't I put my own stupid sticker on it claiming it to be compliant with Transport Canada bull**** ?

Back