Winter projects?

H

HoughMade

If you are like I am- love the MB, but with 2 feet of snow on the ground and a nice enclosed car, it's build time or modification time.

Let's hear about your winter projects!

I am taking on something I have not seen elsewhere. As much as I like the Grubee Skyhawk Stage II gear box on my Honda, good is never good enough. I have the thing completely apart...let's just say "speed holes" and over-the-top polishing are in order- pics to follow. I am also considering cryotempering...overkill, but what the hey. Will it make any difference? Other than strength through the cryotempering, maybe not, but I'm having fun. Also, I have the clutch apart, and besides the holes in the shoes done by others, I am addressing the rough machining and generally going to make the clutch work like it should. the shoes will slide smoothly and when they should. By the way, this gearbox project has led me to build my own vibratory tumbler- pics on that in the future, perhaps.

There may be an engine mod or 2...still planning that out.

So, what do you all have planned....and you guys in the warmer climes...don't think you can make me jealous- I am where i want to be.

Anyhoo- what do the rest of you have going on?

Hough, I am telling myself to go slow on the gas/e-bike.
April is a long way off.

Attachments

• mikes 340.jpg
    mikes 340.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 223
That's the truth...the last thing I want to do is get this thing ready to ride in mid February...

Winter projects

Spent some time cleaning up, adjusting and lubercating both of my rides. Wasn't easy as there are so many projects qued up. Took time to re-route as much wiring inside the bike frame as possiable(eliminating or minimzing ty-raps).

Pending winter projects:

1. Get that 50's schwinn I picked up years ago and make it right.

2.Build third s-ray

3.Building new lighting system, consisting of four 21 Led lights. The two in front, mounted outboard on the handle bars, serving as day-night headlights. These will run fulltime(21 Leds ea.), and will bilnk for turn signal.

Rear outboard lights also on full time(9 Leds for ruinning/turn sig. and the other remaining 11 leds for the brake lights).

As of this time, I am using 8 transistors for light control and am giving it a life test.
I am using one of the cheap $9 controls tor timming. Will integrate my own timming control in the next stage.

4.Going to clean up one of my earlier elect. bike builds for a charity case.

5.Am going to get out the three wheel elect bike I built and get it ready for wife in spring.

6.Hope to build a quiet(dual) exhaust that will cut down on back pressure and install it on my non-tuned bike.

If winter last long enough I'll do some projects for my wife, if it isn't, her projects will have to wait!

Jim

My winter list...

Here's my winter project list:

True both wheels

Clean rims and check for brake noise afterwards - replace pads if necessary

Align drive chain better

Tighten up second muffler mounting

Figure better bag securing method

Clean and lubricate bike, chain, and cables

Adjust front and rear derailleurs - replace rear cable if needed

Clean and lube air filter

Replace kill switch?

Maybe:

Convert to threadless headset
Buy new higher rise stem
Buy new higher rise handlebars
Replace forks with suspension forks w/disc brake mounting tabs
Buy and install front disc brakes

Warner

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, looks like some busy members here. For me, considering how the economy is on an upswing, I guess I will continue to try to survive.

...and that's why my projects will (mostly) be low cost stuff.

On that front- should have my vibratory tumbler done in a couple of days- some people will say "why not just buy one from Harbor Freight?" To that- 2 answers- cost: 1)yes, I know they have one for $55- mine will be much less than that- probably less that $20, 2) design- mine will have a bowl about 1.5 times the size of the cheap harbor freight model, but more importantly, there will be no rod up the middle of the tub, which limits part size and mine will be adjustable for frequency and amplitude...

Sure am glad I got a heater for the garage.

Took time to re-route as much wiring inside the bike frame as possiable(eliminating or minimzing ty-raps).
Jim

After recent discussions in another thread, Mounting Motor To Frame, I hope that you didn't drill the frame to re-route the wiring. (Sounds like you might have.)
Drilling can cause the frame to fail catastrophically.
I drilled my down-tube for the front engine mount and now wish I hadn't, after reading a couple of horror stories.
The above thread is worth reading. Al.Fisherman drilled for wiring and the frame snapped.

... Steve

Back