Ready For Oscar's Final Mod!

Hal the Elder

Local time
6:17 AM
HEY!

I still want to give Oscar an up-swept exhaust pipe, but I'll need a 6-inch length of flexible tubing (like flex conduit) with a 1.25" Inside Diameter to provide a close fit over Oscar's exhaust pipe, which is 1.25" OD. I'll complete the splice with stainless hose clamps.

The auto-parts stores and muffler shops don't cary any flex pipe that small.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...
Old Hal

Hal
Have you thought about getting some thin wall tubing and using a conduit tubing bender to get the curve you want? I looked around and didn't find any flex tubing in the size you want.

Jim

Hal, here's a thought. What is the inside diameter of your echo pipe? We're working with some flex pipe that has an outside diameter of an inch (as we're using one inch seat post clamps to anchor it). How about using the smaller diameter flex pipe as an interior sleeve? Of course, that is if the diameters work. You could cut short slots at 90 degree angles in the ends of the echo pipe so your clamps will be able to tighten it down sufficiently onto the flex pipe.

Hey Kilroy:

I don't know what you mean by an "echo pipe".

I have an exhaust header from the engine to the muffler which is a constant 1.25" 0.D. See photo.

I want to cut it about 3" to the rear of the crank hanger and angle it up 15 degrees. I'll make my own bracket for attaching the muffler at its new position.

I don't know what the I.D. of my header pipe is...probably around 1-1/8", but your "sleeve" idea sounds workable if it can be built up with shim stock to make a tight fit into the header pipe.

HAL

Attachments

• IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Hi Hal,

I have a roll of Exhaust flex pipe [stainless, I think] that is 1" I.D. and 1.125" O.D., however it won't fit over the larger pipe used on the later model NE motors.

I don't know the I.D. of the later echo pipe, but if the I.D. is 1" maybe you could use a 1" I.D. piece of aluminum pipe or tubing as an insert to connect the two together.

If you find time check the I.D. of your echo pipe and maybe I can make it work.

Have fun,

Back