Bought the DealExtreme Bike Alarm

loquin

Local time
9:23 AM
with the keypad.
sku_27127_1.jpg

Here's my thoughts about it.
  • Pros:
    1. It's loud (about the same volume level as a smoke detector,) and annoying. GOOD, in an alarm!
    2. Easy to use.
    3. You can easily change the code.
    4. Appears to be weather resistant.
    5. Alarms when the bike is moved.
    6. $6.99, and no shipping.
  • Cons:
    1. It will only truly fit narrow-framed bikes, like road bikes. And, it's too big for handlebars. The tube opening is 1-1/8 inch.
    2. it needs to be oriented vertically (keypad up, battery/speaker down) to remain weather resistant. It's certainly not water-proof, as it states in the ad.
    3. So far, I haven't been able to see a difference between the sensitivity levels
    4. When you change the battery, the code changes back to the default.
    5. I still don't know if, when setting the sensitivity, if one beep means the highest or lowest sensitivity.
  • Bottom Line: This alarm really should help to deter the casual theft, but, a pro would be stopped for 30 seconds or so. Still, the price is low enough that it's a cost effective deterrent. It probably wouldn't hurt to lay a thin layer of silicone caulking around the perimeter of the key-panel, as dampness could seep in there. If you can position at the bottom of the seat tube, it so that the battery compartment is shielded by the down tube, it will be a little more difficult for a thief to pop the battery cover & remove the battery without triggering the alarm. You can put it on a larger-framed bike, but, it will take a little ingenuity. Tye-wraps could be used, but, they would be easily cut. You could probably bend a piece of all-thread to make a deep U-bolt clamp. If you do this, it probably wouldn't hurt to also clamp an 'L' shaped piece of thin metal so that it covers the battery door.

Last edited:
Thanks. I just bought one too.

I have never seen one in person, but I was looking for a device like this. Perhaps some small screw can be added to the battery compartment case, or use sticky tape, so the battery must be pulled from the compartment with pliers to replace.

Back