Add a 100 mile range with a $20 tank to any GEBE Bike

TerraPilot

Local time
5:13 PM
Golden Eagle Bike Engines (GEBE) is generating quite a following. I just installed 2 of them. I really like GEBE.

If you can use a center punch to mark your drill holes in a piece of aluminum and a hacksaw to cut the 3/4" aluminum strip required here then you will love this extra tank. I went on and picked up that cheap 4-1/2" angle grinder from Harbor Freight but a hacksaw is quite adequate to make the cuts. That 3/4" by 1/8th inch thick aluminum strip comes in 3 or 4 foot lengths at any hardware store. That and a 2 inch piece of galvanized 3/8th or 1/2" sized pipe plus some bolts is about all you'll need to complete the task. The tank comes from Staton in Oklahoma:
http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3262
Its labeled as a 64 ounce tank but I could only get 50 oz. into it.

Please view the graphics and pictures attached then read below;
Make 2 of the 10-1/2" pieces from the strip and then cut the 3 spacing pieces from the remainder. I know.... there will be quite a bit left over. A drill press works best for accurate hole cutting and spacing. If you must use a hand drill make your center punch marks are good and deep and be mindful to prevent your drill bit from moving off or walking off point as you drill. A dull drill bit is a definate no no!!! If your holes end up too far off don't hesitate to make another more accurate piece. You have lots of scrap. Your bolt sizes are as follows;
one ----1/4" by 3-1/4" bolt (if you can't find a 3-1/4", a 3-1/2" will work. I had to cut mine from a 3-1/2". )
one ----1/4" by 1" bolt
one ----1/4" by 1-1/4" bolt

three---1/4" neoprene or nylon filled locknuts (an absolute must, no substitutes ).
Den at GEBE describes the one line configuration for any extra tanks.
I much prefer this single gas line configuration as apposed to other methods described elsewhere. It's simpler but yes it does require one to drill a 3/16" drill hole in the top of your existing tank. The black tube from your Staten tank fits this hole perfectly without any fittings. You dont have to push it more than 1/2 inch into your old existing tank. The clear tube in the in the Staton tank is useless. You should be able to finger the inside end of the clear tube out of the tank mouth long enough to plug both ends of this tube with 2- #10 size nylon screws (ok regular screw will work too). I then coiled the excess outside the tank and secured it with a baggy tie. For some reason I just could not bring myself to cut it. LOL
I've included a tank and flow graphic to simplify the eplanations for flow of the gas and which tank to seal.
I hope the graphics of the assemblage and photos save a lot of time too.
I like that this tank is completely out of the way right up next to the old tank resulting in the shortest and simplest fuel connections least strain on any pumping in the engine. As I understand the Sabaru Robins engines appreciate this.
22 ounces in the old tank plus the extra 50 oz come to about 100 mile range on my bike. I'm projecting 180 mile to the gal.

Go for it.

Attachments

• Staton_tankmount.jpg
    Staton_tankmount.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 596
  • extratank.jpg
    extratank.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 605
  • Staton_tankmount_photo.jpg
    Staton_tankmount_photo.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 612
I wanted to include an installed photo. Please see attached.

Attachments

• Bobstank mounted1.jpg
    Bobstank mounted1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 646
I mounted the same tank on my BEBE bike, but as the only fuel tank. I think the same or a similar tank is available from Motor Scooter Parts. Mine has quite a large fuel pickup filter in it, so it won't pick up fuel from near the bottom of the tank.

Hay VTEC Guy
What did you say?
I can't hear you for the size of your photos.
They are way too big and are crowding out my information thread over hear.
I did see your rig on the other thread and its a super nice rig. The reason I prefer the Staten tank is that it costs half the price of yours and the gas connection is just one tube that runs only about 8 inches. Your two extra "T" connections require no less that 6 breaks in the fuel line and your tank location requires a longer and more uphill run than the Staten tank. I also like to keep a visual check on gas levels in both tanks. I'm sure if you had spotted the Staten rig you might have opted for it too. I do think your tank rig is better looking though.

Yes, I meant to type GEBE. I mounted my tank on the left side of the bike, it looks better balanced than on the same side as the engine. I made a bracket from 1/8 X 3/4 inch aluminum, bent to match the tank bolt holes and mounted using rubber washers under the SS washers to limit vibrations passed to the tank. The bracket bolts to the engine mount strap on both sides and bends to wrap around the back of the bike above the tire/fender. I had to raise the tank to about carburetor level on struts as the carb wouldn't draw gas well enough from lower down. I use the rear of the tank mount above the fender to mount a tail light. I would include a photo, but the site no longer accepts my pix.

Had another idea for an extra fuel tank for GEBE

I bought this Dax under rack 3/4 gallon tank for another configuration, but am now leaning toward the GEBE rig. So I came up with an (I think) pretty nifty way to mount it to the (taking a hint from TerraPilot's method)

Attachments

• GEBE Extra Tank1.jpg
    GEBE Extra Tank1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 470
  • GEBE Extra Tank2.jpg
    GEBE Extra Tank2.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 482
By the way, here's a screen snapshot of what the tank looks like on thatsdax.com. It's a $20 tank.

Attachments

• Dax tank.jpg
    Dax tank.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 496
Back