Halbach Axial Flux Motor

I was really looking forward to this being a build thread. Now its all mucked up with 15 pages of bantering, graphs, photographs of magnets, magnetic fields, tribute to maste Halbach etc, etc, etc. Build it, I want to see this thing moving a bike.

There are actually two threads.

This one is the first thread and it was for me my way of "discovering" the theory of the Halbach concept. It's title was of an "axial" design and for my project build thread I had chosen to go with a "radial" instead because it's a heck of a lot easier. (K.I.S.S. is the rule)

The other thread is the project thread.

--------------------------

The reason I posted back on this thread is that I all of a sudden realized that you could do either "radial" or "axial" discs and then have stators to match and they could all fit in the same place on the ebike.

Good to know... we have the ability to choose alternate designs without fundamentally changing anything. :cool:

attachment.php

--------------------------

The weather looks to be getting colder again... we are not getting much above 50 degrees for highs now....

(30's to 40's in the mornings)

Last edited:
Oops, my bad. Carry on with the banter, graphs, photos and ponderings... but spend more time on drilling, grinding, glueing and bolting.

Unfortunately I no longer live in California (third generation there) and so I really can't work year round and have no indoor space that is capable of being heated realistically. My garage is now holding a constant 55 degrees and the cold is expected tonight with no let up after that. The bottom line is it's now winter and I won't be able to do much until spring.

(so prepare for a few months of banter, graphs and ponderings)

Sorry...

...I actually got pretty lucky to have been able to do anything this last week as it's normally colder by now.

My garage is in the fourties, and I got some aluminum battery boxes welded this morning. A little preheating, a radiant heater, warm clothes, and its all good!

Did some welding and cutting and grinding last week.

The next couple of days are looking great... maybe 60 degrees.

Hi Safe, are you still involved in Halbach array motor ?

Hi Safe,

I am new here, my name is Clark Feng from China.

I work in a magnetic engineering company, and we have rich experience in Halbach rotor and flat array , some of them has gone to mass production, supplied to big companies..

I used to produce 3 prototypes to a e-bike company in Halbach array design, I can send you pictures since it seems not able to enclose a picture here.. I am wondering if you have interest in our halbach array assembly manufacture ?

If yes, please contact me,
email: clark.feng@aic.com.hk
MSN: salesaic05@hotmail.com

Best regards,
Clark Feng

Halbach Axial Flux Motor

http://www.launchpnt.com/capabilities/electric-motor-design.html

LaunchPoint has completed optimization and initial prototyping for a high efficiency, high power density, Halbach array electric motor. With a total weight of only 1.4 pounds, this motor produces 7 horsepower at 8400 rpm with 95 percent efficiency. At 5 horsepower per pound, this motor has a higher power density than any other motor on the market. The brushless, axial flux permanent magnet design is highly tolerant of temperature and centrifugal effects, and the ironless rotor and stator eliminate iron eddy current and hysteresis losses.

http://www.geminielectricmotor.com/A Solution for the Future.htm

Image13.gif

http://goldeneye.ethz.ch/motoren/electric/inrunner/index_EN/

IMGP0986.gif

IMGP0988.gif

I've read all through this thread and it's quite interesting. Does anyone know if there's a working prototype or finished bike ? I can't get the ebikehub website to open up.

MHF

Back