Quick release rear axle ok?

ThunderDuck

Local time
4:01 AM
Hi guys ... got a Staton kit on the way , do I need to swap
out the rear axle for the non qr version?

Cheers.

I've been running a quick release rear axle on my Trek (with a friction drive) for more than a year now, and have had zero problems with it. (And, I'm over 300 pounds!)

Think about it... (and refer to the attached force diagram sketch, which uses red arrows to represent the normal forces, and blue arrows to represent the additional force caused by the friction drive.)

The axle is normally under stress when you ride, by an upwards force F2 at the hub (via the spokes, through the hub and hub bearings, to the axle) balanced by a downward force F1 at the axle (transmitted via the chain stays and seat stays to the rear dropout) These forces tend to deflect, or bend, the axle slightly under load, represented by the light-gray 'center line' through the axle. The reason the axle bends is that the forces, while opposite but equal, are applied at different locations (F2 @ hub bearings versus F1 @ the dropout.)

If you have a friction drive pressing down (F3, it will reduce the overall stress on the hub by the amount of force used to press down, and add that same force F4 (upwards) to the axle at the stays. So, you reduce the axle forces by the amount of down pressure of the friction drive at the hub, but, that is balanced by the upwards force at the stays. However, the forces on the axle use the stays as the fulcrum, so, the moment arm of the forces at the hub is much greater than at the stays (which is, effectively, zero) and the overall axle stress is reduced with a friction drive.

Note - the forces in the diagram are opposite but equal. F1 and F2 are opposite in direction, but equal in magnitude. F3 and F4 are also opposite in direction, but equal in magnitude (and are less than F1/F2, unless you placed your entire weight on the friction drive when locking it into place...)

Now, the strain reduction in the axle doesn't come for free - they are transferred to the seatstays and the drop rods.

Direct link to the bikeparts image: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_SDd59HFkDQI/SSjctXBLhdI/AAAAAAAAALw/jDJgESEoLa4/s800/bicycle_parts_labeled.jpg

There's one final point to consider. A motorized bike will normally be ridden faster, on average, than the same bike, non-motorized. This means that the dynamic forces to the axles (potholes, bumps, etc) will be greater on a motorized bike. The friction drive helps reduce the effect of these forces, but, if you hit a pothole fast enough, the axle could break, whether the bike is motorized or not. At the same time you install the friction drive (or, for that matter, ANY motor drive system,) I strongly recommend that you also add a suspension seatpost, if the bike doesn't already have one (or rear suspension.) Not only will your back (and backside) thank you, it dampens (spreads out over time) the dynamic forces and resulting stress on the bike as well.

Attachments

• FrictionStresses.jpg
    FrictionStresses.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 870
  • bicycle_parts_labeled.jpg
    bicycle_parts_labeled.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 960
Last edited:
i have to agree with loquin, i have no problems running a friction drive kit on my quick release MTB. i use it to test out new kits on a rotational basis and have tried (4) different rack mount kits with a total of almost 1000 MOTORIZED miles on my original 1990 something Univega MTB with quick release skewers. it all depends on how smooth the roads are that you'll be riding. friction drives aren't very good for potholes, jumping curbs, or dirt roads so if you stay away from those things then you shouldn't have any problems. just check it every now and then to make sure there has been no slippage. if you have a quick release with nylon or some plastic components then i would recommend you not using them.

Indeed.
Ever see or ride downhill and freeride mountain bikes?
QR axles are no problem.
downhill-biking.jpg

I've been running a quick release rear axle on my Trek (with a friction drive) for more than a year now, and have had zero problems with it. (And, I'm over 300 pounds!)

Think about it... (and refer to the attached force diagram sketch, which uses red arrows to represent the normal forces, and blue arrows to represent the additional force caused by the friction drive.)

The axle is normally under stress when you ride, by an upwards force F2 at the hub (via the spokes, through the hub and hub bearings, to the axle) balanced by a downward force F1 at the axle (transmitted via the chain stays and seat stays to the rear dropout) These forces tend to deflect, or bend, the axle slightly under load, represented by the light-gray 'center line' through the axle. The reason the axle bends is that the forces, while opposite but equal, are applied at different locations (F2 @ hub bearings versus F1 @ the dropout.)

If you have a friction drive pressing down (F3, it will reduce the overall stress on the hub by the amount of force used to press down, and add that same force F4 (upwards) to the axle at the stays. So, you reduce the axle forces by the amount of down pressure of the friction drive at the hub, but, that is balanced by the upwards force at the stays. However, the forces on the axle use the stays as the fulcrum, so, the moment arm of the forces at the hub is much greater than at the stays (which is, effectively, zero) and the overall axle stress is reduced with a friction drive.

Note - the forces in the diagram are opposite but equal. F1 and F2 are opposite in direction, but equal in magnitude. F3 and F4 are also opposite in direction, but equal in magnitude (and are less than F1/F2, unless you placed your entire weight on the friction drive when locking it into place...)

Now, the strain reduction in the axle doesn't come for free - they are transferred to the seatstays.

Direct link to the bikeparts image: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_SDd59HFkDQI/SSjctXBLhdI/AAAAAAAAALw/jDJgESEoLa4/s800/bicycle_parts_labeled.jpg

There's one final point to consider. A motorized bike will normally be ridden faster, on average, than the same bike, non-motorized. This means that the dynamic forces to the axles (potholes, bumps, etc) will be greater on a motorized bike. The friction drive helps reduce the effect of these forces, but, if you hit a pothole fast enough, the axle could break, whether the bike is motorized or not. At the same time you install the friction drive (or, for that matter, ANY motor drive system,) I strongly recommend that you also add a suspension seatpost, if the bike doesn't already have one (or rear suspension.) Not only will your back (and backside) thank you, it dampens (spreads out over time) the dynamic forces and resulting stress on the bike as well.

This post put me way into thought for about 3 days ! :unsure:

This is not your first post to do that to me ! :unsure:

Last edited:
Thankyou Loqin for your comprehensive reply. It has dispelled any doubt regarding use of qr axles. As a rider in the "heavyweight" class, I find your comments regarding use of a suspension seatpost interesting ... and I have indeed suffered frame damage in the seatclamp area of a Dahon folder I used to travel with. I trust that my sprung Brooks saddle will help reduce stress in a similar fashion.

Last edited:
Back