Bicycle chain vs 415 chain on engine side

scottyo

Local time
2:37 PM
I noticed my 415 chain had a lot of side to side movement on my rear sprocket. I just bought a typical 1 speed bike chain that seems to be a much better fit but I thought I'd check to see if anyone here had advice or warnings about this.

The only difference in the dimensions of the two chains is the width, 415 is 3/16" wide and the bicycle chain is 1/8" wide.

All I can tell you is that with the number of people out there using a shift kit to send the power through the bicycle chain, I would think it would hold up for you.

The ratio of the sprockets has the greatest impact on chain.
It causes alot of force at the pins where the links connect.
With the 10T sprocket we end up putting more of a load to the chain pins then we should.

Now as far as safty is concerned.
The chain shouldn't catastropically fail.
It can handle much more of a pull then we apply to it.
But the Pins in the Chain will wear faster than normal.
This causes the chain to Stretch.

I don't use master Links.
And i check my chain tension each ride.
I broke one chain.
But i'm sure this was caused by the chain getting loose and trying to ride off the sprocket.
The link got jammed and it broke the side plate off.

The bolt on sprocket on the rear wheel really isn't safe.
I plan to Build a Jackshaft Shift Kit to Eliminate the sprocket.
I have worn out the bearings rather quickly in 2 rear wheels.

The last one i indicated the rear sprocket within .010 inch of being perfectly aligned.

Still wore out the back wheel bearings.

I would buy an SBP JACKSHAFT **** KIT if i had the money.

Anyway using top quality BMX chain will be good.
And allways check the tension.

It seems alot of the new kits are coming with a bike chain. I have 2 with bike chain and 1 with stock 415. Kits with a thinner sprocket will run either 415 or bike chain. Kits with thicker sprocket will only run 415 or (thicker style chain). I prefer the bike chain. At first I thought it was only cheaper cost savings measure for the distributor. For me it is quieter, easier to adjust and less drag.

As far as stretch, my personal experience is that the stock 415 stretches muck more than the bike chain.

I keep my chain fairly tight.
It will deflect a little.
I take a look at the chain once in a wile wile riding.
If it is bouncing around its too loose.
If it runs nice and smoothe its good.

There all all kinds of sprockets and chains out there on these kits..the 415 will not fit properly inside of the crankcase of some motors..myself and others think the 415 chain is overkill...anyway this is a trial and error thing for each individual motor and bike..when you buy a chain do not just slap it on and go..wind it around each sprocket it is going to contact as far as you can..look close..as the links wind are they still fitting the teeth 3/4 of the way around as they did in the beginning??...after 3 different chains I bought a KMC BMX KOOl chain..perfect..done deal

Last edited:
Quote: I keep my chain fairly tight.
It will deflect a little.
I take a look at the chain once in a wile wile riding.
If it is bouncing around its too loose.
If it runs nice and smoothe its good.

This is my solution to the 415 Heavy duty chain tension issue (only in the application of a SickBikeParts Jackshaft Kit) and anyone can copy or modify the design with half an hour of your time.
Simply find a damaged rear derailleur and use one of the idler wheels.

1300 kilometers on the design (including 415H chain) and it's running beautifully; stops the chain hitting the lower aluminium case when the motor rpm's are low.
The chain has a heck of a lot of slack in it now - It'll be replaced at 1500 kilometers.

Fabian

Attachments

• Primary Drive Chain Idler Sprocket.JPG
    Primary Drive Chain Idler Sprocket.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 1,249
so you guys are saying that you can replace the heavy 415 )motorcycle style) chain that these motors come with, with a heavy duty bmx bike chain?
without a jackshaft kit, will a regular bike chain work and be ok?
i don't have a jackshaft, and i am only running a single sprocket on the rear wheel (on the peddle side) and i can't afford a jackshaft kit. i'd like to replace my 415 chain because as someone else said, it's a bit overkill.
i didn't think a bike chain would fit around the teeth of the sprockets, but now you have me wondering.

Back