This is why you should always wear a helmet............

gnflyby

Local time
4:29 AM
Last month I took my MB for a test and tune. I forgot to wear my helmet and at about 30mph my rear tire blew, well these are the results, eight stitches over my eye, 6 stitches in my right pinky finger, three fractured teeth, a concussion and road rash from head to toe. Some how I managed to walk home beaten and bloody. My wife said when she opened the door I looked like CARRIE, with blood all over, it's a site she says she will never forget! I'm a husband , father, grandfather and friend, think about how many people this would have affected had I not been so lucky! Obviously it was not my time, and maybe with this thread I could help to save someone from making the same mistake I made! Please do your loved ones a favor and wear your helmet, it could save your life, and theirs! I now wear my helmet even when I BBQ...lol, j/k. But seriously, I now have a whole new respect for these bikes and what the consequences can be if your not careful. Thanks for letting me share this, Nelson.

P.S. The first picture is before and the second, after. What a difference huh?! And the last picture is me and my new best friend!!!

Attachments

• me-2009.jpg
    me-2009.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 377
  • bloody.jpg
    bloody.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 406
  • bloody2.jpg
    bloody2.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 361
  • bloody4.jpg
    bloody4.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 348
ouch dude you got messed up. Its the law to wear helmets on pushies here in Aus but I am seriously considering a full face helmet myself. I am a little worries what could happen when doing 30mph+

yep -- I have been there also -- glad that you are ok

may sound strange -- ok you say Mountainman

well sometimes in accidents such at that
one can break their neck -- never to walk again -- almost happened to me
or at freak times -- just a hard knock to head -- it's over -- dead

be safe -- have fun -- as we -- ride those THINGS

My only real concern with wearing a full face or even open face bike helmet here is the attention it would attract. Dude on a bicycle wearing a bicycle helmet = "nothing suss"
Dude on a bicycle wearing a bike helmet + goggles or full face helmet = "lets take a closer look"

I agree, helmets are good! I wear a bicycle helmet though, and keep my speed around 20. :helmet:

I see you are a fellow GN owner "going fast with class". Personally, I'll fulfill my need for speed with the Buick and putt around on the motorized bike. :)

I see you are a fellow GN owner "going fast with class". Personally, I'll fulfill my need for speed with the Buick and putt around on the motorized bike. :)

Oh yeah still trying to go fast, I sold my 87 about two years ago, but I still go to the GS Nationals in Kentucky, and I make a few videos for the Buick community. If you want to check them out visit: http://febusfilms.com

Cool website! I've actually seen it before from a link on gnttype.org

I've got an '87 that I've owned since new. I was poor back then, so I had to order a "stripper". No power nothing. But then again, who needs all the extra weight. It's got 29K miles. Bone stock. Cr@ppy paint and all.

Good to hear your ok albeit a lil worse for wear. This forum has already had one member die from his unprotected head hitting the ground lets not see another fellas...always wear a helmet the road or pavement will win EVERY TIME when your head is the opposition!.

KiM

Nelson:

Hey, I am glad you are OK and also glad that you posted your story. You never know who you may have helped by doing so.

I live In bowling Green, KY, home of the Buick Nationals at Beech Bend Raceway. Hopefully, one day they will host the MB Nationals, ha ha.

Bill

Back