Bike Security What is the best way to secure/lock up my motorbike when I get to a destination?

wildwestrider

Local time
7:12 AM
I just secured my first Motorbike.....a 1922 Elgin built into a barn find looking board track style.

How can I lock/secure this bike when I get to a destination.....I figure its light enough at 65 pounds for someone to pick it up and carry it off,...so guessing the best way to secure it is to have a heavy braided cable like you can find in a bike shop or Home Depot,...and lock through the frame and wheels and lock to an imoveable (sp?) object.

any suggestions?

Probably depends where you lock it and what kind of place it is.

My unauthorized rule of thumb is one lock for every 100k population....a city of a half million you need 5 locks. :D
Just kidding....sort of.

I was recently on a Harley forum and they were talking about thieves using a hydraulic boom on a truck to pluck up unattended hogs. Seems any bike is light enough for someone to pick up if they really want to.

Our department has for many years sold Kyrptonite bike locks to our students (I'm in "campus" law enforcement) at reduced rates. We've had almost no thefts of bikes properly secured with one of these, whereas we've had lots of bikes stolen that were "secured" with the typical cable locks.
One quick snip with a pair of bolt-cutters....

Kryptonites can be defeated, but it's a lot of work. Most thieves will give you a pass.

One trick is to have a seat post quick release, remove that seat and stash it with the cashier or receptionist, for short stops and appointments.

That way, you know the bike won't be ridden off by an "impulse thief".

Plus, if it did go AWOL, the thief would possibly have to buy a replacement at a bike shop (since regular saddles are not that comfortable, or if the thief was trying to sell it).

When you get to looking and counting, there are not a lot of bike shops, and the 5-6 in your radius would have a picture of your stolen bike, with your phone number or the police phone # conveniently written on back.

If you do catch a guy, prosecute for Grand Theft, it won't do any good to catch and release a horse thief.

the public eye -- is a great thing

How can I lock/secure this bike when I get to a destination
a heavy braided cable like you can find in a bike shop

buy the best lock and cable you can afford and also carry

best of all -- I think is to
lock our bikes in a very visible location
such as when I am locking my bike at Home Depot
do I lock it up to the bike rack located on the side of the building --- heck ((no))

I lock it up to a tree that's very close to the front doors
everybody can see it there

MM

Back