Bike Security Solution to motor bike thievery

Hears what I do to keep my bike from getting stollen.

I ride my bike to school and I live in a fairly good neighborhood but I have had 2 non-motorized bikes get stolen. So #1 don't just lock a bike up at the bike rack unless it is watched and right in front of the building. So I lock it up behind the school near the activity entrance because their are cameras EVERYWHERE. Also don't just use any bike lock. I put a chain in my backpack, a big chain along with a five-star rated dead bolt lock and I weave it through the frame and the front wheel to a tall metal pole. Also if you go somewhere and you don't want someone to ride off with it (if they know how to start it) then take the seat post out.

Am I just lucky?

Nobody has tried to steal my bike except for once. I had just finished making adjustments and had left the bike standing proudly in my driveway (gated neighbourhood, mind you) as I went to grab my grease towel when a neighbour kid came up (didn't see me, I guess) and got on and tried to ride away. I cringed for him as I left the clutch out and could hear him fighting against the engine compression. I eventually felt bad for him and yelled "pop the clutch" but he ran off. His parents said it was my fault for leaving my bike out like that and he could have gotten hurt (yeah, if I wasn't so nice...) smh...

I am always concerned about my bikes security. My bike doesn't have a motor on it yet but it is a pretty rare bike so I do what I can to protect it. I use two heavy duty kryptonite New York chain locks. They run for about $100 each. I use one to lock the frame and the front wheel to a proper bike lock pole and another to lock up the rear wheel. They are probably the best locks I ever got and It'll take more than a set of bolt cutters to cut through them. If I can, I bring my bike in to a place so I can keep a close eye on it. Most places around my town are OK with that.

Nobody has tried to steal my bike except for once. I had just finished making adjustments and had left the bike standing proudly in my driveway (gated neighbourhood, mind you) as I went to grab my grease towel when a neighbour kid came up (didn't see me, I guess) and got on and tried to ride away. I cringed for him as I left the clutch out and could hear him fighting against the engine compression. I eventually felt bad for him and yelled "pop the clutch" but he ran off. His parents said it was my fault for leaving my bike out like that and he could have gotten hurt (yeah, if I wasn't so nice...) smh...

This is hilarious!

Wow, if his parents had told me it was my fault that they are raising a thief, I would have told them that I am calling the police and we will see who is at fault here.

Back