EZM "Q"-matic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Miles,
Sure is a lot of work in designing & testing new products, and many have no idea of the hours involved. I really liked the way the shifter worked on the test unit, and was really simply in design. A simple tapered plate with 6 rollers forced the inner assembly towards the plantentary gears to make the shift. I think changing the angle a little may make the shift less aggressive.
I tested the drive on one of my modified Whizzers, and possibly the power was too much and caused the harsh shift. It worked real smooth under normal throttle.
I like your shifting speed of 12 MPH better than the 18 MPH on my test drive, and my concern is changing the plate angle [less aggressive] might make the shifting speed even higher. Oh well, looks like more work is needed.
I did take the bike up to 50 MPH several times and the balance of the unit was very good, no vibration, and minimum noise. The test unit is belt driven on both ends and pulling 9.03 X 1 final ratio. I know the ratios will need a major change for the 49 CC 4-stroke, and I think 14 X 1 would be closer to correct.
Looking foward to your test results. What are your final ratios? Are you using rear belt drive?

Have fun,

Sounds like they are using the old Whizzer automatic clutch design. Try heavier rollers to get a sooner shift. Yes I'm using a belt final drive but I have problems with it slipping on the 3" pulley in low gear. I'm thinking of trying a timing belt if I can find one long enough. I would like to stay away from chain if I can. I'll have to calculate the final gearing but what I can tell you is that these systems will change the shift point based on the speed of the output shaft. Your test bike geared lower would probably shift at a lower speed.

Miles

All this talk about 2-speeds is very exciting. Is this something that will work on the 2007 Whizzer with the NE5 motor? Keep up the good work guys!

Randy

I hope so. The plan is to make the 2Matic a universal device that can be mounted in a Whizzer, motorized bike kit, trike, etc.. I wont' know for sure about the 2007 NE5 until I try to mount one up.

Miles@cyclonetics.com

What kind of top speeds are you looking at and do you already know the frames that will work with it?

I see this is an old thread and am hoping to learn more about the belt final drive. Could someone direct me to more information? In looking at Helmut's bike with the final drive, it looks like a standard Whizzer sheave is in use. I heard mention of the 3 inch drive pulley slipping at low speed and the intention to use a cog type of belt for better grip. How has this worked out? I'd like to make the conversion on my 50 Panther which is currently running a 99cc Predator with Q matic transmission. A planned upgrade to a 2 stroke Jacobsen 147cc engine is planned for the summer. In the meantime I'd like to make the belt final drive conversion. The engine upgrade is not a need for speed, but for power to push along a modified canoe sidecar. Many thanks for any information.
Silverbear

Hi Silverbear,

Thousands of Q-Matic drives are currently in use, many with different output ratios. Due to demand we designed several options for the Q-Matic system. We even offer drives to fit many popular motors including the HF 79 & 99CC 4-stroke engines.

Te Q-Matic drive is available with the following options: 10 tooth #41 chain sprocket, 2.75" V-belt pulley, 2.5" V-belt pulley, and 3.5" V-belt pulley. The Q-Matic drive is also available with different primary ratios [pacesetter drive] for hilly terrain or heavy riders.

We have been working on a less expensive rear sheave, but current suggest the vintage Whizzer unit for vintage bikes, and the New edition Whizzer sheaves for newer wheels.

With different Q-Matic ratio options the HF 79 CC normally runs between 45 and 50 MPH and still has a respectable take off speed.

Have fun,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back