49cc decal?

The laws for MB's fall in a grey area, and I doubt that a judge will spend as much time as I did looking them up, especially if the judge already knows them. No matter how many times I read them I couldn't find a winning situation. I did discover that "lighting" is "Motor Vehicle Code," and is the same for all motor vehicles, except a scooter, which only requires a head light visible for 300 ft.
Now all I need is turn signals, and it will almost be ready to register, and like Red stated "I'll take safety any day."

I saw a link to the husheng manual on this forum somewhere.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?37217-Huasheng-F142-Owner-s-Manual-(get-yours-here)

Turn signals are NOT required on a motorized bicycle in California. I put them on anyway because I LIKE SAFE. Ya need everything else though. Headlight,(dual beam,) Brake light, tail light and Mirror.
Big Red.

49 cc? the law in CA is 4 HP now!

I oppose the misinterpreted law actually, clearly they are addressing registered owners of VIN vehicles. How I and all the cops I've encountered understand it is that it is FINALLY OPTIONAL for hand built bicycles...(YAY) If you have an M endorsement.

Pictures are to help define the vehicle types. Notice they are all DOT VIN Vehicles and 406b doesn't define our 'vehicles'

Notice we are exempt first and second have ACCESS to insurances optionally through the state BicycleSerialNumber program.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/motorcycles/motorcycles

If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the definition of CVC §406(b), you:

- Must be 16 years of age or older.
- Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet.
- Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements (CVC §12804.9).
  • A motorized bicycle is issued special license plates and identification cards, which requires a one-time $18 fee. No renewal is required.
406b
(b) Every manufacturer of a motorized bicycle or moped, as defined in this section, shall provide a disclosure to buyers that advises buyers that their existing insurance policies may not provide coverage for these bicycles and that they should contact their insurance company or insurance agent to determine if coverage is provided. The disclosure shall meet both of the following requirements:

(1) The disclosure shall be printed in not less than 14-point boldface type on a single sheet of paper that contains no information other than the disclosure.

(2) The disclosure shall include the following language in capital letters:

“YOUR INSURANCE POLICIES MAY NOT PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR ACCIDENTS INVOLVING THE USE OF THIS BICYCLE. TO DETERMINE IF COVERAGE IS PROVIDED YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY OR AGENT.”

Last edited:
Stop quoting 406 B as it is invalid since it was superseded by the 2017 3 part ebike laws.

If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the definition of CVC §406(b), you:

- Must be 16 years of age or older.
- Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet.
- Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements (CVC §12804.9).
  • A motorized bicycle is issued special license plates and identification cards, which requires a one-time $18 fee. No renewal is required.
406b
(b) Every manufacturer of a motorized bicycle or moped, as defined in this section, shall provide a disclosure to buyers that advises buyers that their existing insurance policies may not provide coverage for these bicycles and that they should contact their insurance company or insurance agent to determine if coverage is provided. The disclosure shall meet both of the following requirements:

(1) The disclosure shall be printed in not less than 14-point boldface type on a single sheet of paper that contains no information other than the disclosure.

(2) The disclosure shall include the following language in capital letters:

“YOUR INSURANCE POLICIES MAY NOT PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR ACCIDENTS INVOLVING THE USE OF THIS BICYCLE. TO DETERMINE IF COVERAGE IS PROVIDED YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY OR AGENT.”

Stop quoting 406 B as it is invalid since it was superseded by the 2017 3 part ebike laws.

im quoting the CA DMV website - the people paid to manage this business.

I had a motorcycle county cop hand me that same sheet that is on the state website with additional information (20 pages) and said these laws are nothing to do with what we do and not to worry. Then he ticketed me for headphones. (just follow all the real laws)

Ill have to find that stack its in storage somewhere. I'm just saying nothings really changed except ebike laws, which are defined for electric bicycle motor systems...

I believe its a myth that we NEED plates or we could be jailed, and officers enforcing the law either don't know enough to have an opinion or they do know enough to agree.

ab1096 (2017)
Existing law also defines a “motorized bicycle” as a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that meets specified requirements. Existing law requires a motorized bicycle, as described by this definition, to comply with specified equipment and manufacturing requirements. Existing law also imposes specified requirements relating to the operation of bicycles. A violation of the Vehicle Code is a crime.
This bill would delete the latter definition of a “motorized bicycle.” The bill would define an “electric bicycle”...

Last edited:
im quoting the CA DMV website - the people paid to manage this business..
Hahahahahahaaa! DMV website has always been out of date. DMV is a f***ing joke!

Check out the Motorized Bicycle pic on the CHP website that has the correct ebike laws.
https://www.chp.ca.gov/programs-ser...clist-safety/motorcycles-and-similar-vehicles

Moped or motorized bicycle

Section 406(a) CVC refers to a moped or motorized bicycle as any two or three wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, has an automatic transmission, and a motor which produces less than 4 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.

• A driver license with an M-1 or M-2 endorsement is required.

• A DOT compliant helmet is required.

• It is unlawful to operate a moped or motorized bicycle on a roadway while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.

Motorized%20Bicycle.jpg

Hahahahahahaaa! DMV website has always been out of date. DMV is a f***ing joke!

Check out the Motorized Bicycle pic on the CHP website that has the correct ebike laws.
https://www.chp.ca.gov/programs-ser...clist-safety/motorcycles-and-similar-vehicles

Moped or motorized bicycle

Section 406(a) CVC refers to a moped or motorized bicycle as any two or three wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, has an automatic transmission, and a motor which produces less than 4 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.

• A driver license with an M-1 or M-2 endorsement is required.

• A DOT compliant helmet is required.

• It is unlawful to operate a moped or motorized bicycle on a roadway while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.

Motorized%20Bicycle.jpg

http://custombuiltmotorizedbicycles.com/
Bike is a 20" bmx.

I'll tell you this - got off the phone with CHP and this is the rundown.

According to their 2017 book copy.
406a (definition)/ 406b (insurance) is current.
AB1096 passed yet did NOT delete 406 when it was enacted

Does it have an engine/motor?
Does it have pedals?
Is it speeding on flat ground? (30+mph)

The new laws he agreed appear tailored to regulate the electric bicycle community, however the new speed limit he would enforce, 30mph, in any instance the most important factor still is as it has been for years - the presence of pedals and road laws like breaking the speed limit.

Something fun to chew on -
Low speed vehicles, VIN™federal code
Some familiar standards
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title49-vol6/pdf/CFR-2011-title49-vol6-sec571-500.pdf

Source:
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/search/pagedetails.action?collectionCode=CFR&searchPath=Title+49/Subtitle+B/Chapter+V/Part+571/Subpart+B&granuleId=CFR-2011-title49-vol6-part565&packageId=CFR-2011-title49-vol6&oldPath=Title+49/Subtitle+B/Chapter+V/Part+571/Subpart+A&fromPageDetails=true&collapse=true&ycord=3561

My main focus is following vehicle safety standards just to get it issued a real VIN.

I just read the CA Brake Inspection Handbook (stop from 20mph to 0 in <25ft without skidding)

And I'm reading the
STATE OF CALIFORNIA HANDBOOK FOR LAMP ADJUSTERS AND STATIONS

And also we have to pass smog check

More Reading:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Motor_Vehicle_Safety_Standards
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?...ntent_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr37

2017 CVC-24015 (A/B)
(A) MOTORIZED BICYCLE; Required Equipment: Headlamp, taillamp, stoplamp, side and rear reflectors and adequate brakes.
(B) MOTORIZED BICYCLE; Required Equipment: Mirror, muffler, and horn.

2017 CVC 5030 MOTORIZED BICYCLE; License Plate: Display special DMV plate

2017 CVC 5037
(A) MOTORIZED BICYCLE; Move or operate on hwy. without required plate. (Bike 1st sold on or after 7/1/81)
(B) MOTORIZED BICYCLE: Move or operate on hwy. without required plate. (Bike 1st sold before 7/1/81, and operated after 1/1/82)

CVC 12500
(A) UNLICENSED DRIVER Drive motor vehicle on a hwy.
(B) MOTORCYCLE LICENSE REQUIRED to operate a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle (under 150 cc), or motorized bicycle (under 2hp) on hwy., except persons operating a motorized bicycle or motorized scooter with any class license per 12804.9(h). (Class M1 = 2 wheel motorcycle or motor-driven cycle. Class M2 = 2-3 wheel motorized bicycle or moped, except a motorized bike per 406(b).)

I don't jump in legal conversations because I'm looking for answers, i do it because i'm looking for the many perspectives from a jury of my peers...

Last edited:
Back