What's he building in there?

U

uncle_punk13

So I just spent the last three days living in my shop, sleeping on the floor for a few hours, and then back up and working like a machine on the Addams Flyer. Here's the deal with that-
I am building this bike to be entered in an art show at a steampunk convention. Since I used the Tanaka 40 on my black sunshine, I am using an R/S 35 gebe on this- For the art show I am calling it a 'Preambulatory Velocipede' for fitting into the genre. I have a long way to go with this but it is finally starting to look like something... One of the details I am really happy with is the metal flake and lace paintwork at the headtube/gussets- I have never tried to do flake and lace paint before and it exceeded my expectations. Sure it's not perfect, but the process worked and I know the more I do the better I'll get at it.
I had my interview and viewing of the project with two of the committee members and have been accepted into the show! Here is a little photo essay.
Thanks for letting me express this, I am so excited about this that I was about to burst.
Rif

Attachments

• Gebe mock up 1.15.08.jpg
    Gebe mock up 1.15.08.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 539
  • Addams Flyer frame braze2.jpg
    Addams Flyer frame braze2.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 421
  • Addams Flyer frame braze1.jpg
    Addams Flyer frame braze1.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 410
  • Tank1.jpg
    Tank1.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 453
  • Addams Flyer tank close.jpg
    Addams Flyer tank close.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 415
  • Addams Flyer Tail lamp2.jpg
    Addams Flyer Tail lamp2.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 407
  • Addams Flyer mock1.jpg
    Addams Flyer mock1.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 443
  • addams flyer mock2.jpg
    addams flyer mock2.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 410
  • lugs1.jpg
    lugs1.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 443
  • lugs2.jpg
    lugs2.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 412
  • Mock up1.jpg
    Mock up1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 557
Last edited by a moderator:
I'd guess you will paint the yellow cover on the R/S to match??

The more you ride with these engines, the more fond you get, decibel wise.

BRING BACK THE BLUE RIBBON, RIF !

Neat idea modding the tank to see fuel level....do u know yet if it worked as expected?

Hey thanks fellas!
I'm flying out for Tennessee tomorrow for a few days, but when I get back I'll be going like heck again on this.
The detail bits are the killer on this, all the fine little "fiddly bits' and having everything plated- Brass Chrome, Copper... It's almost a nightmare, but it's so much fun to put my art background into action that I forget the stress of a project of this magnitude. I'm almost considering putting an N.F.S. tag on it, but If someone bids my minimum,(or with any luck it goes to auction) I'll sell it. Thius really isn't about the money though, it is about the build, and also about the exposure- the opportunity to show my creative side to others... I'll keep y'all posted if yer interested.

I enjoyed seeing this project come to life for you
nice looking MB
I like the lace work
kind of took me back many years
to when we used to paint frames
our favorite was a smoke streak job
usually painted with a silver base coat
then with candles we -- briefly bring them close to frame
a streak of black smoke then goes around and is seen on frame
then sealed in with clear...
people thought those were great back then
haven't seen one in years

MM

Well I ended up driving back from tennessee- 3000 miles, in a minivan with my future, her son and a dachshund. What a great trip! Anyway, was working on some brackets, and hubs yesterday... So the project continues. The reproduction of the 1895 chainring is to be in process next week. It's a-comin' along... pics to come.
Thanks,
Rif

Attachments

• Metropolis Illinois.jpg
    Metropolis Illinois.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 398
Happy B'day you old ****.

Only 40? From the sound of your musical tastes, I woulda thought you were 60 !! Ramones in Rocking Chairs.

Hey, got some smuggled Almond Champagne I'm trying to get out of the veggie drawer ASAP, tonight I'll aim the stopper at the moon and chug to your rapid downhillish health.

Back