How to get CA license Plate

If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the definition of CVC Sec.406(b), you:

- Must be 16 years of age or older.
- Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet.
- Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements (CVC Sec.12804.9).
A motorized bicycle is issued special license plates and identification cards, which requires a one-time $18 fee. No renewal is required.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/motorcycles/motorcycles.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the definition of CVC Sec.406(b), you:

– Must be 16 years of age or older.
– Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet.
– Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements (CVC Sec.12804.9).
A motorized bicycle is issued special license plates and identification cards, which requires a one-time $18 fee. No renewal is required.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/motorcycles/motorcycles.htm

406a is for gas motors. 406b is for electric. No license or registration required for electric but are only allowed 20mph. License and registration ARE required for gas motors but you're allowed 30mph.
We already know all of this and that same section has been posted... a lot. The reason no one has posted to this thread in 5 months is because it has ALL been discussed and talked out. Anyone that needs something clarified is more than welcome to ask a question here. Did you have a question?
Big Red.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Red, I posted this for "Rock Voice" who said We need M1 or M2 license, and lights, turn signals, etc. etc. I knew I shouldn't post it too, and that it has probably been done a lot.

No I dont have a question. I am quite capable of reading vehicle codes and Penal codes. I should have replied to his post, (My Bad).

I understand that the key words are; 2 Hp, and 20 mph.

Thank you Red, I posted this for "Rock Voice" who said We need M1 or M2 license, and lights, turn signals, etc. etc. I knew I shouldn't post it too, and that it has probably been done a lot.

No I dont have a question. I am quite capable of reading vehicle codes and Penal codes. I should have replied to his post, (My Bad).

I understand that the key words are; 2 Hp, and 20 mph.

Wasn't trying to be an a**, Just that there's a lot of people that think they have to post the same thing thats already been posted over and over.
The 2 gross brake horsepower part is for gas engines. This does not apply to the electric bike. For the electric it is 1,000 watts or less, (and limited to 20mph.) No M-1 or M-2 is required for electric, just gas bikes. Lights are required for both but turn signals are not required on either. A brake light is required.
Again, sorry if I sounded like a d**k.
Big Red.

Last edited:
No biggy. People get moody this time of year. Must be the planets. Seems like everybody's moods swing at the same time.:sick:

I'm going to try and get this moped registered. I noticed on the form it states, "Mail completed application, and the applicable fees." Does anyone know what the current fees are or where to find them?

$20 to get a Moped / motorized bicycle plate now.
It used to be $19 and the DMV will still take $19 and send you your plate.

Hell, they might even take $18 and you get your plate.

I sent them $18 when it was $19 and they sent my plate. But on my registration it says I still owe the $1. If you'll notice where it says Amount Due,($19) Then Amount Paid, ($18)
What do you think their chances are of getting that dollar from me?
Big Red.

Attachments

• Reg. 002.jpg
    Reg. 002.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 460
Back