Safety COASTER BRAKE horror stories, please add your experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sadly in the coaster only portion of riders, and it's nearly killed me more then once, or atleast came close to paying for something I can't afford. When I first had a coaster brake I didn't have the metal bracket that would hold it on, so I just wrapped metal wire around it hoping it will hold, HA, that wire snapped so many times it's not even funny, when you're going downhill at 30 MPH and your chain pops off, you better hope to god there's a hill somewhere to roll up so you can slow to a stop, I've slid nearly into multiple cars that can't hear my little 4 stroke puttering toward them including people who pull out directly infront of me, I got a metal bracket now but I still don't trust that thing, I always ride and keep slow in dense areas because I know that brake isn't safe.

Use a Grade 5 or Grade 8 bolt, locktite, and a second ' jam ' nut on coaster brake clamp. That clamp, as you learned, is no joke . Be sure your clutch fully releases, before applying brake . Braking while torqueing is bad news . A front caliper brake[ MT Bike ] can replace the front fender and add a margin of safety. I recommend shutting off motor, before decending steep hills. Deft use of the front brake can make cornering much more enjoyable . I run a combo lever, caliper, and coaster brakes, front and rear. I drag the coaster brake descending hills .

I have a huffy beach cruiser from Walmart, coaster brake, nothing else and haven't had any troubles yet, knock on wood.....

Coaster brakes are useful, but you need a real beefy strap and bolt

I got an update in my email from this thread.

I posted this parts picture about 4 years ago. It still works.

I have pretty much gotten out of MAB riding now, but I'm still interested in them. I think if I motorize another bike it will be a steel rigid bike with fat tires and dual disc brakes, and not walmart cheapos for sure.

The bike I have now is a steel rigid bike with 2.25 tires, super fat tubes, a mtn bike rim brake up front, and a coaster brake in back with the modification of the rubber-padded steel conduit strap and thicker bolt.

The coaster brake has a couple good points: it works even if the rims are wet, and it is great as a "holding" brake at traffic stops. I like the foot operated brake because it allows a trigger-throttle on one side, and hand brake on the right.

I do not feel it is an adequate brake for lots of hard stopping, long hills, or speeds over 20. I am taking the motor kit off this bike and just going to ride the heck out of it on cross country trails.

If you use a coaster, be very careful to maintain the bearings, properly tighten and adjust the locknuts, use axle nut serrated washers to make sure that wheel stays put! 1 brake is not enough, with any kind of brake.

Please be careful!

full

Photo of conduit strap to replace the weak brake straps that can break, leading to auto-rotation of the hub and pedals! This is stronger.

Interesting! I am fascinated by some of the bikes cobbled together for those events, but I've never seen one here in TX (coaster brake races offroad).

I am currently running a beach cruiser with a v-brake front and coaster brake rear. The coaster brake was awful with the 42x18 gear, but quite strong with the 34x18 gear. I would never want to rely on it though, but its good for an assist to the front brake or for holding the bike at a stoplight while taking off gloves or using the GPS. (bike is 75lb, groceries sometimes 50lb)

Making freecoaster for nought, or maybe price of a couple washers.

Best photos here: http://www.wtlw.net/ff/suntour/
Video http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=30139

http://www.bmxtrix.com/
The other side of the rear driver is threaded. While the sprocket is outside the hub, the threaded side is inside the hub; specifically, it threads into the clutch. When you pedal forward, it threads into the clutch and pulls it against the hub, engaging it so you go forward. Back pedal and it unscrews the clutch until the clutch hits the unbrake. (Or your washers) Then the clutch can't unscrew anymore. You can still pedal backwards, but the clutch simply spins against the unbrake. While threaded on the outside, the driver is not threaded on the inside, it floats on the axle.
driver2_small-jpg.85070

http://www.bmxtrix.com/images/tech_section/freecoaster/small/driver2_small.jpg

I locked one up while turning into a friends driveway, Lucky the driver of the HUGE truck comming at me had the sense to stop and laugh at me instead of running me over. My helmet hit and flew off, My shades went one way, My shoe went another way. So I'm getting myself off the road and gathering up all my stuff While the driver is asking. ("Are you allright?) through all the snickering. Thank god I had slowed for the turn. I just barely touched the brake in the middle of the turn and the sucker locked up and slid out QUICK. Now days, I dont even touch the coaster brake but I left it for emergency (just in case.) stopping power. My advice,
NEVER completely trust a coaster brake ay ANY speed!!!
Big Red.

Motorcycle experience ?

I locked one up while turning into a friends driveway, Lucky the driver of the HUGE truck comming at me had the sense to stop and laugh at me instead of running me over. My helmet hit and flew off, My shades went one way, My shoe went another way. So I'm getting myself off the road and gathering up all my stuff While the driver is asking. ("Are you allright?) through all the snickering. Thank god I had slowed for the turn. I just barely touched the brake in the middle of the turn and the sucker locked up and slid out QUICK. Now days, I dont even touch the coaster brake but I left it for emergency (just in case.) stopping power. My advice,
NEVER completely trust a coaster brake ay ANY speed!!!
Big Red.

If any of you Gas Bike riders had motorcycle experience, you'd know the value of a front brake, and how it fine tunes road speed, and sets up suspension for cornering. If you lack that background, ask a motorcycle riding friend about it.

If any of you Gas Bike riders had motorcycle experience, you'd know the value of a front brake, and how it fine tunes road speed, and sets up suspension for cornering. If you lack that background, ask a motorcycle riding friend about it.

Yeah bro, Got one NOW. I mostly only use the front brake now. Just gotta look out for oil, sand, gravel, ect. Stops a lot better than a rear brake ever did.
Big Red.

Well, in riding 2 wheeled vehicles for a majority of my life. I can say you are right. They are very dangerous.
But this is how I ride.

Planning to get a springer fork and put a disk break on it. But. In that time.

I was me doing a U turn about 3-4 miles an hour too fast, and almost hitting the curb with the bike (narrowly avoided by my quick reaction) and jumping off the bike once I lost balance from turning the bike sideways LOL.
It pattered forward on its own a few feet and fell gently in the grass.

That was the lucky time.

Worst that has happened was when I was going down a big hill @ about 15-20 mph, and went through an intersection. Hit a concrete bombardment going about 8 mph. But I was going much faster before I braked - and SLID.
There went my throttle. Broke the mount and screwed up the inside so you can pull it farther back now lol. Helps with the Dax carb choke though XD

I only ride around neighborhoods that are close to me (ironically the place you are most likely to be hit or hit something), and have had no trouble keeping my throttle in check unless im in a situation where i can say... brake up a hill. Aside from crashing into things, I havent flied off the bike or anything, and the accidents have been minor.

But again. Im lucky, and experienced with handling ragdoll physics at high speed over pavement. I have beefed it more times than I can remember. I have been clipped by a truck going 60 up a hill, and thrown 20 feet. Cuts and scratches. There is probably road rash on me I cant see.

Get some brakes.
Wont hurt anything except your wallet.
But It is nifty if you aren't a fan of dieing brutally.

I have yelled it at the top of my lungs for years...

NO MOTORIZED BIKE IS SAFE
WITH JUST A COASTER BRAKE!

At least put a front caliper C-brake on!
~$18.

It depends on the speed of the ride, for example a 48cc is fine with just a coaster and front C brakes.
Performance 66's on a coaster bike I like to put front and rear C's and a dual pull brake lever for 3 brakes.
<$50 for 2 C's a dual pull lever.

front disc rear coaster is the way to go in my opinion. I hate dual pull levers and don't want to crowd my handlebars any more than they already are

even if I were to throw the chain, my bike happily does endos. stops as quick as any other vehicle on the road with just the front brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back