Safety COASTER BRAKE horror stories, please add your experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good post, I have coaster brake bike and this is my first build. I didn't think about the fact that, as you said, If your chain comes off for some reason you have NO brakes. The first thing I need to do is buy a front brake!
Different subject. Growing Up. Great Springsteen tune!!!
Thanks Brother! Ride safe!!

I've got rim brakes on front and rear wheels, but I've also got a coaster brake on the back for when my rims get wet. Is the coaster brake actually likely to break something, or is it just the typical problems that coaster brakes have at normal speeds?

beach bike.

:unsure: can't believe anyone would even consider a stock coaster would be enough. I used to ride a bike down a 2500 foot hill. Red lights were interesting. rim brakes smoke on a stop from 30 or 35. planning on two rim brakes up front and one on the rear.

:unsure: can't believe anyone would even consider a stock coaster would be enough. I used to ride a bike down a 2500 foot hill. Red lights were interesting. rim brakes smoke on a stop from 30 or 35. planning on two rim brakes up front and one on the rear.

My coaster locks the rear wheel if I'm not gentle with it.

I'm not saying a coaster brake alone is good enough, but if you service them properly, you'll get good use out of them. My current coaster brake is a shimano and the shoes grab so hard I rarely use it. Most of the time I rely on my front drum.

A coaster is no different than a drum brake. If you've got a single speed bike you can use a #41 chain and never worry about breaking the pedal chain which is the only problem that coaster brakes have. I have a Shimano CB110 on one bike and a Shimano D-TYPE on the other and both of them grab hard enough that I'm very likely to just skid if I'm not careful.

Of course most of your stopping power is in the front, you should have something there. Even if it's just a rim brake, though a disc or drum is obviously preferred.

I always had bad luck with rim brakes. Too soft and they wear, too hard and they scratch the rim. Soon I'll be lacing up a motorcycle drum for a front wheel. Currently using a worksman drum.

I like the coaster brake for decending steep hills. I kill the engine, lock the clutch and drag the coaster lightly . My first bike had knobbies, and wore my hands numb, very hard to hold caliper brakes . My current build has coaster brake, Caliper brakes, and a combo lever, set up to engage rear brake first. I don't use the coaster brake in traffic, the combo lever works great . In a panic, all 3 can be deployed .

I'm thinking about putting the same shimano coaster brake I've got in the back on my front end, just gotta figure up some linkage and it'll be good to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back