Safety COASTER BRAKE horror stories, please add your experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
my coaster brake is still working perfect and has plenty of clearance between brake arm and sprocket bolts(like 1/2" clearance).

I want to add a front brake after reading this to my Schwinn Del Mar. Any suggestions?

THANKS!!!

there is a bolt hole above front fender,just get a set of caliper brakes and bolt to the hole and add a brake handle to handle bars.

I grew up riding bikes with coaster brakes on gravel roads, so braking (and sliding when stopping!) was second nature to me. On my first MB, I was braking hard when I hit an oily patch. I kept it under control, but, while moving eastbound, I was pointed southeast on the bike for a bit... :whistle:

I added a front brake to the bike after this happened a second time, but, I had to stop quickly while headed home (after the front brake cable had come loose,) and I ended up grinding through the rubber on the rear tire, all the way to the fabric. :sick: The tire blew out about 5 miles later.:cry:

There weren't horror stories, but, they're certainly something to be aware of.

Well I do have two things going for me:

1. I live at the beach. Completely flat (the highest point is only 12' above sea level and that's even man made)

2. I weigh 300 lbs. so when I let off the gas, the bike slows very quickly. lol

I'm just trying to figure out how you would hold in the clutch AND apply the front brake with your left hand at the same time. ??????????

Bobby

I have modded a brake lever so that both front and back brakes are on the same lever. On the right. Although I only weigh in at 145ish, I live with STEEEEEEP hills. So decentish brake are a must.

Would it be plausible to just replace the whole wheel that doesn't include a coaster brake? Along with calipers in front and rear. And where could I get a wheel that fits a 26" x 2.30" tire like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back