Safety COASTER BRAKE horror stories, please add your experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got caliper brakes front and rear, with a combo lever. I use my coaster brake motor off, clutch locked, to desend steep hills . On the combo lever, put the rear cable furthest from fulcrum, put front brake cable closest to fulcrum, that gives rear brakes a harder pull, with fine tuning, they work awesome .

so am going to strip it down and add lugs for vee brakes front and rear should be fun

I've only had one bad experience with coaster brakes and I was doing something stupid by running a 60 year old coaster brake going 30 mph and locking up the brakes which caused me to brake the axle lol.... I actually drove the bike the rest the way home (1-2miles) was not fun since I couldn't peddle cause the chain would pop off but the motor side the axle was still attached so i didn't go more than 10 mph the rest the way home..... 50$ and a coaster brake later I had a front disc and a new coaster brake....
Mama said stay safe when I was little.... I never grew up so I guess I still gotta stay safe :)
I'll keep it under 45mph with that new ported and polished 80cc..... #fastbicycles ;)

Old topic but the MOST IMPORTANT topic with regards to MB safety!

NO MOTORIZED BIKE IS SAFE WITH JUST ONE BRAKE!
PERIOD!!!
Especially a crappy Wally World Huffy coaster brake!

This was a solid Micargi Touch coaster brake build for a heavy set customer so I didn't just use and added front caliper, I put one on a back as well on a dual pull lever so the coaster brake was more of backup system tough still used often.

2_Macargi1200R.jpg

They were C-brakes with a single mount opposed to V-brakes with mounts for each arm, they work great and darn sure better than nothing.

~$50 for everything.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING as TOO MUCH BRAKING POWER!

Don't find out the hard way, it really hurts and costs that way!

I mean like motorcycles we take a risk for speed. Our breaking power (motorcycles included) will not match up to cars with all their safety standards and braking power. Having the best brakes helps but I think we have to consider that this hobby/transportation does have its inherent dangers in and of itself (similar to motorcycles) especially for a few speed demons here.

Since I'm one of the speed demons I agree with that lol.... Cool you can go 40mph on a bicycle but how bout that car that's 100ft in front of you??? And KC do you not run fuel filters on your bikes??? with that 50$ CNS carb that would get expensive if something got stopped up or something got into the engine

And KC do you not run fuel filters on your bikes??? with that 50$ CNS carb that would get expensive if something got stopped up or something got into the engine
Yes I usually put an extrernal filter in, I must of have been out when I built that.
No debris can get in though, the petcock has a long fine screen filter in it.

Lol off topic but I just wanted to make sure... I just like to sell a MB with out any problems or future problems....
That is my mantra too, just build 'em right so I don't have constant repairs.
Heck, 95% of my repair business are things I didn't build.

Both my bikes are coasterbrake, 1 has a front disc and the other has front vbrake. I never use the coaster brake my nerves aren't up to snuff during commuter traffic. Also for the less experienced rider you need to be scanning 10 seconds ahead of yourself that's from a motorcycle safety course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back