Diesel Motorbike

jared8783

Local time
5:19 PM
Has anyone ever done it succesfully?

Could you imagine the gas mileage you would get from something like that?

I haven't seen a thread on any site discusssing it and am trying to get some conversation goin about it. I think that the idea of a diesel moped would be great on account of mpg's. Don't get me wrong we already get great mpg's but could they be better?

There has been extensive discussion of the topic on this board in the past. Do a search, you'll find it readily. The biggest problem is the engine - where are you going to get a 50cc or smaller diesel?

I have seen small 10HP diesels for sale from some of the tool stores. They are considerably more expensive than gas 4 strokes. I'd love to run my mobike on french fry oil.

There has been extensive discussion of the topic on this board in the past. Do a search, you'll find it readily. The biggest problem is the engine - where are you going to get a 50cc or smaller diesel?

I would think the bigest problem would be the direct injection necessary for a diesel to operate properly... you would need a very high preasure fuel pump and the electricity to run it...

I would think the bigest problem would be the direct injection necessary for a diesel to operate properly... you would need a very high preasure fuel pump and the electricity to run it...

Mechanical injection pumps have been always been dominant in diesel engines. You only really see the common rail electronic systems in cars and trucks. Single cylinder non-road diesels use mechanical pumps.

Yet again, you run into the size/weight issues, though. The smallest commercially available single cylinder diesel I have seen for sale was a Lister style low speed stationary engine with a jug size of 96 cc, and weighed 61 pounds. Even that isn't apparently available anymore.

As for the injector issue - it isn't an issue.

Here's the description of the HDT (Hayes Diversified Technology) diesel engine developed for the US and British armies:
Back in 1993, the first steps were taken by RMCS to produce a “feasibility demonstrator” based upon then current diesel engine technology, to find out whether this could be used as a low-risk development starting point. This demonstrator bike used the crankcase and gearbox from an Indian Enfield to keep costs down, and a rolling chassis specially made by Eric Cheney. The results were encouraging, and from this Dr. Stuart McGuigan and John Crocker of RMCS went on to design a new engine, with development and production being undertaken by Fred Hayes of HDT in the USA. This machine used running gear from the Kawasaki KLR650, a military variant of which was already in use by the US Marines. The objective was to produce a high-torque, high-revving normally aspirated unit so as to get the most power from the size of engine, and the current version delivers around 24bhp and 33ft lbs of torque from a 584cc single cylinder unit that uses double overhead cams, four valves and indirect injection. In the modified KLR650 frame, this gives a vehicle top speed of over 80mph and a dry vehicle weight of 167kgs.

So, aspiration really isn't the problem. Note that displacement, though - you ain't gonna put that thing in a bicycle frame and motor away.

While frequenting some "off grid living" websites, I stumbled on the ChangZuki Changfa diesel powered Suzuki. Cool project, but the builder needs some serious dental work. (been living off the grid too long. lol)

interesting... I have a question though. Would an aluminum frame bike hold up to that kind of torque?

While frequenting some "off grid living" websites, I stumbled on the ChangZuki Changfa diesel powered Suzuki. Cool project, but the builder needs some serious dental work. (been living off the grid too long. lol)

Have you looked closely at the engine cradle? I wouldn't sit on that bike let alone drive it. It appears that the builder used black pipe and plumbing fittings to create the lower frame. Not to mention the questionable welding on the attachment points.
I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but that bike does not appear to be safe.

gas mileage would be awful since compression ignition engines don't run on gas :)

I'd bu one if they were available with the necessary turbo.

Back