Tubes Need better inner tube

artmaker

Local time
6:27 PM
Is there a better tube? Or perhaps an additional sleeve or something?

Ok, here is my bike. http://artmakersworlds.com/testing/Bike/Bike1.jpg
Tube size is 26x2.125

Some time ago I picked up a rather large nail in the rear wheel.
Patched it. Crappy no glue patches. Patched it three times and finally ordered the real good patches with glue. Gees, I have patches on my old ten speed that NEVER fell off. I've worn through tires before needing to replace a patched tube. But this bike? Now way!

Got the good patches. Patched it three times. Then a fourth time using the real big patch. THOUGHT that one worked. It did not loose air, I've ridden at least a few hundred miles on it.
But.... it finally failed too.

Time to bite the bullet and resign myself to changing the blasted tube.
The one on there is already one of the thick heavy duty ones.

Is there anything better? I think I read somewhere ages ago about some kind of sleeve you can put in the tire for extra protection?
If it weren't such a royal pain to take that rear wheel off I wouldn't care. But shees! This is a drag. And most bike shops anywhere near me won't touch it.

If you know of something please post it, and/or a link to the site that has it.

Thanks in advance.

Ha, I'm reading it all now. Thanks to who ever moved this to the tire section too. Didn't see it.

Not sure I want to do a tire in a tire but I do see some other alternatives.
Someone wrapped his tube in plastic pond liner???? Wish there were pictures.

Still reading.
Thanks.

another solution if u have a wal mart near.is to buy the tubes they have now that say garunteed no more flats.then if u have a flat theres no shame in taking it back 10 times.but you still have to do the work.so a tire in a tire might be best for u.them fat tires u have take a lot of air before the tube touches the tire.that thins the tube out and make for easy puncture.tire in a tire solved that for me.wal mart also has these liners u can put inside the tire.

I read the thread about a tire in a tire. I can't see how to do that.
Looked at walmart's website, they don't even have inner tubes listed. Not one. I know they have them though. Next time I go in I'll look.

Meanwhile I have a bike shop (nearest one is over an hours drive) anyway they ordered me some of the heavy duty tubes. And said I might need to patch the hole in the tire too???? With what I wonder. Thinking about a squirt of silicon. (can't hurt.)

I don't see any tire liners anywhere. That site Junster posted only have tires. They look like fantastic tires though. But mine aren't that old. Hate to replace tires because of one blasted nail hole. But next tire set I will look into those. Thanks.

If anyone has a direct link to "liners" please post it.

I'll keep searching. Be a little bit before my tubes come. While I have that back wheel off is the time to add anything.

There is a company that makes solid core tires that meaning they don't require any air but I have heard the ride can be harsh I also heard from my local bike shop you need a super strong rim and spokes for them.

ive never patched a whole in the tire itself before.but i always check the tire with my hand to feel for anything sharp.wal mart super stores have tubes now tht say garunteed in big letters on the box.to put a tire in a tire u just stick one tire inside another and put a tube in the inside tire and work it on the rim.u may have to use a razor blade to carefully cut the bead off the inner tire.the inner tire should be close to the size of the outer tire.hope this helped.

If you end up going to Walmart you'll find Mr.Tuffy tire liners there. You can patch the inside of your tire where the damage is if it isn't on the sidewall with a tube patch as long as you scuff it up really well.

Ok, follow up.
The ONLY bike shop that would touch a motorized bike (had them put on better spokes last summer) told me a few things.
1. they don't recommend that slime stuff. I even found tubes on line with slime built in. They say no good. Stuff only works on the smallest of holes.
2. They have the tuffy tube liners, and the heavy duty tubes. I'll order both.
3. I asked about tire in tire, I think I left him scratching his head. I should be good with heavy tubes and the liner. (liner is something I never tried.)
So that's my plan. Be awhile before it all gets shipped, but that's the plan.

Also. I'm not too concerned with the hole in the tire. It's a round little nail hole right in the tread. Be different if it were a cut or something where the tube might stick out. I think the only problem was the hole in the tube is too big for any patch.
(note to self. Don't ride over NAILS again!)

Wall mart. I really hate walmart. When I first was going to do this motorized bike thing, I bought one from wally world. It was such pure **** I took it back. (after wasting a day assembling it.)
Want a good laugh? The tires that came with it were defective. Totally warped and impossible to get on straight. Honest, they were molded that way.
Well... This moron working there insisted HE could fix them. I said I doubt it but go try. They he warned me that "I can fix them for you but the next time you hit a puddle they will go out of alignment."
Lol. A puddle I said? really? You don't say?

And after making me stand around for a half hour, he came back and said they were defective. YA THINK?

Na.... I don't buy much from walmart anymore. All ****.

Back