New Project Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzz Bomb

Local time
11:38 AM
I'll start it with my new project-
My first ride had a tweaked frame, so I took everything off of it and the new(old) donor is a 1938 Elgin Bluebird. The chances of finding the original tank to restore it as a bicycle was pretty much nil, so I figured I'd give it new life as a motored bike. So, instead of Bluebird, maybe Warbird?
I understand that I should truss the frame in weak areas, but I don't want to ruin the original lines of the frame, so I'll just have to take my chances...

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 940
  • IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 604
It's gonna be a good looking bike.

The only part of that frame that would worry me is the bulge upfront. But an engine mounted there would strengthen it, I would think.

I don't know whether I'm in shock or in awe. I have a soft spot for Elgin bikes, and the Elgin Bluebird is one of my "Holy Grail" bikes. It has been for years. I've never seen one converted to a Whizzer before, this is likely to be a first. *sigh* I'd give my first born for a Bluebird...

Hold on... Looking at your frame, it's not a Bluebird but a Robin. The Bluebird has the extended chainstays and seat stays to give it that "streamliner" look. The Robin is based on the Bluebird frame but with traditional seat stays and chainstays. Regardless, this will be one cool looking Whizzer once it's done.
Good luck with the build!

Attachments

• Bluebird.jpg
    Bluebird.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 919
  • Robin.jpg
    Robin.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:
No, it's a bluebird. The frame is the same as the Robin in your picture but in 1938, they made the Robin, and the Bluebird, the long extended rear chainstays ended in '37 and the only difference is that the Bluebird had the full tank that covered the top and head tube, as opposed to hanging as the Robin's tank,- and because of that, they didn't put a badge on the head tube. That's how you tell the difference between the two models. Mine doesn't have holes in the head tube for a badge and it's a 1938 serial number, so it was a Bluebird. A little trivia for you.:unsure:

Last edited:
No, it's a bluebird. The frame is the same as the Robin in your picture but in 1938, they made the Robin, and the Bluebird, the long extended rear chainstays ended in '37 and the only difference is that the Bluebird had the full tank that covered the top and head tube, as opposed to hanging as the Robin's tank,- and because of that, they didn't put a badge on the head tube. That's how you tell the difference between the two models. Mine doesn't have holes in the head tube for a badge and it's a 1938 serial number, so it was a Bluebird. A little trivia for you.:unsure:

I learned something new today! :unsure: The pic of the Bluebird was indeed of a '37. I didn't know they changed to the Robin-style frame in '38.

Columbia bike and H engine

I have been working on an old Columbia bike and H engine. After I get it running, I will take the engine back off, and remove the paint and re-paint and replace some bike parts. I have the rear fender and luggage rack removed. I find the regular belt is too short on the Columbia because the rear wheel is farther back than the Schwinn.

Photo attached:

Attachments

• Cbike1.jpg
    Cbike1.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 593
I have been working on an old Columbia bike and H engine. After I get it running, I will take the engine back off, and remove the paint and re-paint and replace some bike parts. I have the rear fender and luggage rack removed. I find the regular belt is too short on the Columbia because the rear wheel is farther back than the Schwinn.

Photo attached:
I can't tell in the photo- did you have to bend the crank to get it to clear the belt cover? On my Roadmaster, I found that the best fit for the belts was a 62 rear and a slightly shorter front belt. It was the only setup that allowed the tension to be even. I don't know if have a WC1 makes a difference though...

No, I didn't have to bend anything. Not yet, anyway. I don't have a belt or coil cover yet, but plan on getting them.

I was looking at the sheave today and think I have the screws on the wrong side of the spokes. I have an old manual that shows them on the other side. I will probably have to move it. I will mark it on the spokes before losening the screws, since it took awhile to get it aligned. Sure wish I knew a Whizzer expert in my area.

Okay, well here she is, fitted and ready(I think) for her first trip around the block. She's an old gal, and I hope she holds together! :cry:
I'm so relieved that I didn't have to dimple the frame!
I already found out that I can't sit on it while the drop stand is down, because I bent it the first time I tried that. So, for pictures, I'll keep it, but a Whizzer stand will have to be used. That sucks, but whatever it takes.:-/

Attachments

• IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 700
  • IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 524
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back