Single speed vs. multi speed

Smallblock

Local time
11:38 AM
Is there any preference between the two as to which is better for a starting point?
I have a 80cc powerking jet on the way and nothing to put it on.

I was looking for a bike that suited my style and price range. I came up with the Huffy Cranbrook single speed and Schwinn landmark which is a 7 speed

If i chose the schwinn i was just going to paint my tank to match the bike...then i found this on ebay which is almost exactly what i had in my head.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180354920731&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting
Suggestions?

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
that sure looks like a nice bike. but after shipping it's gonna cost you about $600.00.

You can do better.

Concerning one speed vs multi speed. I have one of each. There's not much difference between the two. My mountain bike is more comfortable. My single speed beach cruiser is better looking. And in situations that require a lot of braking the coaster brake comes in handy.

I'd say it's a toss-up.

yes that MB on ebay looks pretty nice

but -- if you bought the parts and built it yourself -- probably save some money

referring to speeds on your bicycle -- you will enjoy a 3,5 or 7 speed (((much more))) than single

get one and ride that THING

lol,
I am going to build it myself..like I said I've already got the engine kit on the way. And if i buy the bike new for $125 i'll have just over $250 in the whole setup. That one on ebay just happens to look kinda like what i'll end up with.

As of right now i'm leaning more toward the 7 speed schwinn over the $85 single speed cranbrook

Get the multi-speed bike.

"The Dragon Lady" is a powerful twin-engined girlie cruiser. I use it to commute to work. Part of the route is a 2-mile highway with an uphill offramp.

"The Iron Dragon" was a 7-speed cruiser. When I started losing speed going uphill at 30-something mph, the "Dragon" called me to help. I pedalled some and the monster caught his second wind.:devilish:

When the "Lady" asks for help at 30-something mph, it's too fast for a single-speed bike to pedal.:cry:

multi gear it is then I guess.

I kinda like the the Kuluna moondogs too..
does anybody have any pics of this style of bikes with different handle bars? Don't really care for the stock bars much.

I would go with the multi-speed
better brakes all the time,
and when you break something...
easier to get home

Back