Hybrid Bike (GAS and ELECTRIC)

Garsm

Local time
3:21 PM
Hi, I am just starting making my first motorized bike. The main motor is going to be an 80cc kit. Running on the chain is going to be a d.c. motor that will produce electricity. The electricity will charge a battery bank that will operate my lights and accessories. when the batteries are full, I will switch the generator to a motor again and run off electricity. It will be like a hybrid bike. Anyone have any ideas or comments? I don't think anyone has done this before, have they?

I need help finding a sprocket for the generator. It has to fit the 415 chain and have a small bore. Let me know if you know where to get one because I cant find one anywhere.

Also, is there another name for the 415 chain?

Oops, this post slipped by without comment.

Short answer yes, not much new under the sun, son.
If you do a thorough search in the archives here you'll find much discussion pertaining to your ideas with qualified engineering types reporting actual data suggesting a small engine like you are talking about powering a generator under load will leave nothing to power the drive train of the bike.

Not that it's a bad idea but there is no perpetual motion machine...yet.

One of my pet schemes is a tribrid: human, ICE, Ehub with regenerative braking that could be used to trickle charge a smaller/lighter_than_usual LiPo battery pack and have the whole thing weigh less than a tank. :D (at least less than 100 lbs.)

yes people tryed to do it before,it works for hybrid cars,
goodluck and have fun.tip: look up hybid cars for more information.
electric trike + generator + fast battery charger or
electric bike + gas motor + 12v or 24v alternator

I got my hybrid (or tribrid) running today. A little rubbery on the gravel road with the added weight. Battery pack weighs in at 28.5#. Motor weighed at 14.5#.

I could not think of a way to make a dual throttle, so I used an old shift lever to make a thumb throttle. It is mounted under the bar so I can activate if as I twist the electric throttle. Other than that it was a straight forward installation.
hybrid-1.jpg

I got my hybrid (or tribrid) running today. A little rubbery on the gravel road with the added weight. Battery pack weighs in at 28.5#. Motor weighed at 14.5#.

I could not think of a way to make a dual throttle, so I used an old shift lever to make a thumb throttle. It is mounted under the bar so I can activate if as I twist the electric throttle. Other than that it was a straight forward installation.
View attachment 18286

Bravo, major points for a pioneering effort.
Do keep us informed how it settles in as this deserves it's own thread.
Cheers.

The rubber feeling was caused by loose spokes. I got that fixed and re-trued the wheel. Now rain for two days. I am willing to bet the front (motor) wheel hurts gas miles a little since it has more resistance to turning. I can feel it pass each magnet as I rotate the axle. Hoping it will loosen up at least a little with use.

Before I made the wheel fix I got it up to 17 mph on a slight upgrade and a good headwind (NWS said 21 mph).

My driveway is loose gravel that has never allowed me to drive on it using gas, but I can now using electric only. (There was an SUV, and a Harley get stuck in the gravel. lol).

I have a webpage for the bike and will update it periodically. http://flapdoodle.250free.com/80cc.html

But will still post here. My thoughts are to a Velomobile. However the simplest might be adding power to a commercial trike.

The motor has three heavy wires that I assume are power. There are 4 lighter wires I think are control. Rotating the wheel with a digital voltmeter indicated a disappointing 7 volts. Maybe it needs a control voltage to make it work? It does have electric braking capabilities, and electronic cruise control that I have yet to figure out how to make work.

It is nice to see you got a motor to fit on that frame. I bought one and used it for parts and it wasn't even very good for that. The frame is sitting on the side of my house, someday maybe I will find a cheap electric hub and use the frame.

Back