Tire Wiper for friction drive

killjoys :^ P

The OP's idea was to brush away the sand & grit, to save wear on the drive roller.

I have tons of respect for Sheldon .....but he really wasn't into motored bikes

Last edited:
The problem I see is that the 'whatever' gets loaded up with grime&crud and ceases to its job,may be a counterrotating soft brush like device at about a 45degrees at the back could sling the crud up and away to the rear

The problem I see is that the 'whatever' gets loaded up with grime&crud and ceases to its job,may be a counterrotating soft brush like device at about a 45degrees at the back could sling the crud up and away to the rear
thanks...another killjoy...... maybe regularly replacing the brushes would be on the 'things to do list' !!

Yeah,
I wouldn't want to get bogged down in another maintenance detail either. When I was on a friction drive, the road chaff really bugged me, being a neat freak and all. I'd come home after work and either have to wash the bike down or fix a spoke or two. It got old! Road grit on my shiny black Freddies and polished aluminum brakes and such just SCREAMED for a better way. A rubber deflector (mud flap) on each side of the roller perhaps?
WC

May be one of those shaggy paintrollers could be adapted,just a thought.,get your right brains going!

friction drive tire brush

Hello, I kind of stumbled into this post searching for random friction drive info. I have a jc higgins bicycle with crafstman weedeater-style motor kit manufactured in the 60's and 70's just for the purpose of motorizing a bike. It mounts to the front fork and where a weedeater shaft would normally connectit has a clutch assembly with rubber-covered drive wheel. I was picking up a lot of road grip when I lived in richmond,va, so i used a metal bracket from a bicycle carrier mount. I screwed it to one of the engine support bars and to the other end of this small bracket I used two screws to attach a fingernail brush. It is easily adjustable, sits fairly unseen behind the motor just against the tire, makes no noise(at least a small enough amount that the engine drowns it out) and most importantly it removes about 99% of road grit. I attribute this more for the longevity of my drive and not as much for the tire itself. Anyway, just a small idea you might use as a foundation for your own "tire wiper".

I've only rescently started with friction drives but this Tire Saver/Tire Wiper idea seems good....same principle as on a record turntable for removing dust.
Pity they don't have a pic on that loosescrews.com website cos i'de like to see how durable it is & also it's setup.

Back