Freewheel axle sprocket question (Dicta Brand)

bamabikeguy

Local time
3:12 PM
My 78 year old customer picked up his trike yesterday, pleased at how it pulled the hills. He's an hour south, so I can't check this out personally, hope someone could see if what he describes is "normal"

The keyway I built to hold the sprocket was L shaped, grinding little by little with my drimel, until it was tight as a tick. I bought a stick of oversized 1/4", just for that reason.

But he says there is a little play in it, and I just don't understand HOW?

I'm hoping somebody with a axle sprocket, which they know is locked into the slot tight, can maybe check and see if, standing sideways to it, if it has a few millimeters of "play".

Is this just the quirky way a freewheel sprocket works?

I don't want him to jump in there and pull off chains, loosen everything up on the axle only to discover my L shaped key is still snug as ever.

Could someone check that sprocket back and forth action for me?

thanx

edit: tried to change the heading to "Freewheel sprocket question", because I'm assuming a similar set up is on all these three and four wheelers, regardless of the axle size or the depth of the slot, as long as the keyway is snug.

double edit: then I figured out how to change the title.........

Last edited:
BUMPING UP, cuz I want to call this fella early a.m.

I recommended he order two heavier duty rear wheels, use 12 g. instead of 16 gauge.

(To keep the trike price low, they shaved some cost on the drive wheel bearing, imho.)

So, I know he's going to pull those two wheels off and replace them in the next few weeks, THEN he can take the axle sprockets and collars off to inspect my key way.

But this question might be answered by any of you using a free-wheel sprocket.

It is two separate parts, the free wheeling inner ring and the fixed-drive-direction outer.

Is there a "catch" between the two parts, that would delay engagement a fraction of a second, account for those millilmeters/centimeter of play?

(And I really doubt the "play" is too much, I still think its his getting used to the throttle and the engine engagement going downhill)

I'm ignorant on the inner workings of this freewheel item, don't know the technical terminology of the sprocket, would sure appreciate a clue.

Attachments

• trikekit 004.jpg
    trikekit 004.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,339
Last edited:
Back