1914 Excelsior

Z

Zomby Builder

I saw this on Flee Bay current bid is $17,000 What a beauty!

1914 Excellsior.jpg

Awsome bike. I saw a all original Excelsior last summer on the Garage crawl the day before the Bike Swap meet in Kent Washington.

Go find a little 250 Yamaha Varago motor and build one.

Believe it or not, I've thought about it. However, to get the proportions right, the transmission has to go. Can't have the transmission hanging off the back and fit in a classic fram like that. If Excelsior and Harley and Indian could do without one, I reckon I can too.

If you have a better idea for a built it from scratch yourself, I'd love to hear it.

That Excelsior was a 1000cc amateur racer, they sold for around $250.They won the National Amateur Championship a couple of times during that era,against Indian &Harley.Schwinn bought them out in 1911.Competition from the model T was beginning to crimp motor cycle sales.They were high quality machines with for instance pressure lubrication.

The Varago is a nice bike initself don't get me wrong but why would you want to ruin the vintage look of the Excelsior with a Japanese engine? I just don't get that. It's just me I guess

I think they meant to scratch build a replica, not to replace the Excelsior's original engine...
As far as japaneses engines- they can't be beat. Look up the spec.s for my (one year only) nighthawk 550- it's a sportbike engine in a cruiser frame. At100 I still had throttle left but backed off as it was too crazy fast, yet the handling at that speed was just perfect- no wobbles, shakes, vibrations. just the roar of the engine and the wind.
Anyway that was off topic and I appologize. That excelsior is what the American greasy cycle boy's dreams are made of!

Back