New top speed... and a question

M

macarollo

I went to Lowe's today to buy a bolt that rattled loose (bought the bolt/added locktite, problem solved)...

I was at a stoplight next to a sweet looking Harley... he was just staring at my bike for 30 seconds and then gave me a thumbs up. Asked me how fast it went.... he was pretty impressed.

Well I hit a new top speed on the way home... 45mph.

Problem is that my wheel seperated from the rim again... It is a no flat tire on a steel rim. I used gorilla glue to keep it on there... worked fine for about 20 miles and then the wheel seperated again... guess the glue didn't hold. What should I do now?

Should I try again using a lot more gorilla glue? I don't think I used that much the first time.

The tire was designed for a rim that it was slightly tighter on, but that wheel does not bolt up to the sprocket.

It is a 196cc push trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you mean the tire bead is coming off the rim, I had that problem with my new bike from Walmart. NO tire would stay on the rim. Rather than return it and take a chance with another bike (besides, I had already installed my 80cc on it) I made a tool from an old screwdriver to bend the inner part of the bead out all the way around. The tool resembles sort of a reverse hook.

Drag racers with extreme power had that same problem of spinning their racing tire on their rim at the starting line. This would shear off the tube's valve stem.To keep their racing slicks from spinning on the wheel, they drilled the rim edges and use sheet metal screws to secure tires and rims.

That procedure and gorilla glue should fix the problem.

I made a quick drawing of the tool I mentioned. The slot in the screwdriver was cut with an abrasive wheel on a Dremel tool.

rim.jpg

45mph, NICE!!! For me to go over 45 with my trailer, I have to duck to get less wind resistance, so you are going nearly as fast as mine already, I'm impressed! Once that tire wears down some, you will get better grip and will gain even more speed.

I was wondering about that rim, I guess it's a bit wide for that tire. Instead of just the near the bead, get the gorilla glue in the center of the tire on the inside of the rim, because it will expand and fill in the space and stick. These tires are not hollow, so it won't take too much glue to fill the space in.

I've had to re-glue one of my two tires, because I didn't use enough glue, and it wore out over time. Keep that glue handy in case you have to re-apply.

That's the trade-off with these flat-free foam tires, they weren't really designed to be drive tires, but with some modification, I still am sure they are still the best tires for this as they take forever to wear out and ride better, and if you wear them bald, they won't leak air and go flat, but instead get better over time the more they wear.

If it's still having issues, try the sheet-metal screws like 5-7HEAVEN mentioned.

Last edited:
I did originally glue the inside of the tire, I think I just didn't use enough glue. I could modify the rim it came on since it is a little snugger, but I think I will retry with more glue.

the 45mph was on a slight downhill, but I know it could do it flat out too.

45mph, NICE!!! For me to go over 45 with my trailer, I have to duck to get less wind resistance, so you are going nearly as fast as mine already, I'm impressed! Once that tire wears down some, you will get better grip and will gain even more speed.

I was wondering about that rim, I guess it's a bit wide for that tire. Instead of just the near the bead, get the gorilla glue in the center of the tire on the inside of the rim, because it will expand and fill in the space and stick. These tires are not hollow, so it won't take too much glue to fill the space in.

I've had to re-glue one of my two tires, because I didn't use enough glue, and it wore out over time. Keep that glue handy in case you have to re-apply.

That's the trade-off with these flat-free foam tires, they weren't really designed to be drive tires, but with some modification, I still am sure they are still the best tires for this as they take forever to wear out and ride better, and if you wear them bald, they won't leak air and go flat, but instead get better over time the more they wear.

If it's still having issues, try the sheet-metal screws like 5-7HEAVEN mentioned.

should do someTHING soon

I did originally glue the inside of the tire, I think I just didn't use enough glue. I could modify the rim it came on since it is a little snugger, but I think I will retry with more glue.

the 45mph was on a slight downhill, but I know it could do it flat out too.

that's a heck of a fine high speed for a MB
don't want that tire THING falling off -- ever

either much more glue
or rough up the inside of tire and apply JB weld epoxy
but note -- that JB will be VERY HARD TO BREAK OFF LATER

maybe the old time (air) tires may be the best THING after all ?

as we ride those things

Back