Motorized Penny Farthing?

A

Alaskavan

A friend has asked my advice for motorizing his Penny Farthing. My feeling is that a small friction motor on the front is the way to go.

Also, it's a real hassle getting going on the bike, is there any way that something like a Schwinn "kick-back" 2-speed hub could be incorporated into this thing?

Penny Farthing.jpg

That would be killer to see one of THOSE with a motor, and being able to sit several feet off the ground!!!

An electric hub on the rear wheel would work well.

So would a rear friction drive engine with centrifugal clutch.

Your friend actually has one of those? that's pretty cool.

But motorizing it would seem to be a problem. If you motorized the front wheel, then the gearing would be ridiculously low. (but maybe you could use it as a log hauler?)

And if you motorized the rear wheel, then that bike would be positively dangerous.

My advice? Sell it to a museum.

Those were notorious for putting the rider on his nose.
nose dive.jpg Just Say 'NO'... to the front brake!

here's a modern version... the 3-penny farthing.
this might open up more possibilities for gearing, motoring & such.
3-penny farthing.jpg

Okay, so maybe the way to go would be to have both power and brakes on the rear wheel.

I've seen replicas with two rear wheels.

I believe that installing an engine on the rear wheels would add weight back there and help prevent nosedives, especially with electric motor and 80 pounds of batteries.

Ya wouldn't need a powerful motor because the bike seems unsafe at any speed,although a small electric hub would give the necesary oomph to get going.

Yep, rear vee brakes would probably work great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always wanted to put an engine on one of those things. It is the ultimate in steam punk! I would get a set of old EV warrior motors with a one-way friction drive. I agree with 5-7Heaven that you'd want the weight of the batteries in the back and definitely no front brake.

Back