Anyone have a truly freewheeling bike here?

This might do it:

http://bimoto.pl/index.php?s=&l=en

I'm told it adds less than 14 lbs to the bicycles starting weight.

Ive built many bikes of different kinds and I have yet to have one truly freewheel. By that I mean:

You use it as a bicycle and pedal around but the engine chain doesn't move and or make noise.

1. You coast freely down hills and no chains are moving.....quiet! and smooth. The only resistance is tire on ground,wind and the miniscule resitance of the insides of your freewheels, bearings in wheels etc.

2. No motor drive chains,clutches, PTO's or transmissions are turning while you use it as a bicycle. Each drive is truly independant; manpower drive, engine power drive and gravity powered drive.

3. Lastly; this is easy we all do it: You motor around without pedaling and your bike pedals are stationary.

It should pedal and coast so easily it could be mistaken for motorless bike except for the added weight.

Thanks and if you have done this tell us how.

PS: I own an HT with shifter kit and this doesn't qualify for me..
Nor does getting off the bike and disconnecting anything like a friction drive.

This might do it:

http://bimoto.pl/index.php?s=&l=en

I'm told it adds less than 14 lbs to the bicycles starting weight.

I just installed this kit, and yes, I believe it qualifies. I haven't weighed it, but i would estimate the 14lbs figure to be close to the money.
The weight (or lack thereof) was the first thing that struck me when i opened the kit.
I'm just wondering, why dont ALL kits use the frewheel crank setup that this does? You don't lose any of your existing gears either.

I'm very interested to hear all about your bimoto! How do you like it so far?

Very happy.
My Dad installed the kit, and apparently it went together hassle free. In fact, I think he wants a kit himself now.
It definitely meets all the criteria set forth in this thread for a "truly freewheeling" kit. Apparantly, the freewheel crank setup is a patented idea, so perhaps this is why it's not seen often?? It's very satisfying to hear the sound of it shifting up through all 18 gears.
The MTB hits 40km/hr on a flat piece of road without assistance. Bimoto claim 45, and I am sure it would, given a road-going bike setup. About what I expected for a 4-stroke 25cc.
I don't really notice the weight of the engine - it seems no different to riding it without the kit installed. I was initially worried it would have a top-heavy feel.
The reduction gearbox seems like a real quality piece of work - the gears are nicely machined. The gearbox casing looks plastic in the photos, but its aluminium.
The little Honda is a bit louder than I expected, although still much quieter than the 2-stroke kits I see buzzing around my area.
The Bimoto is relatively expensive - it cost me about $1300AUD, but before Staton sold it, I was looking at somewhere near $3000AUD to bring it from Poland! Go Figure.
I'm looking forward to riding it some more, and hearing from others who might have this kit.

Attachments

• crank.JPG
    crank.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 263
  • crank2.JPG
    crank2.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 259
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 283
  • side2.jpg
    side2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 309
ultima,

Good to hear it's working out so well.

Does the wider crank cause any pedaling problems? Do you even notice it?

If you pedal with the motor how much more speed can you get?

The bike hit 48km/hr today with a bit of a tailwind (no pedal assistance).
Any pedalling to push the speed beyond that , and the engine would be freewheeling. You'd just be running on pure pedal power like a <gasp> regular bike!
I think you would need to change sprockets to go any quicker.
The crank is a little wider but pedalling doesn't feel any different. I do wear a clip to prevent my pants being caught in the chain. The problem would be solved with some kind of a chain guard I guess.

Nice - freewheeling crank setup is also used on the Elation and Cyclone electric bike kits. I was looking to do a similar setup (rack mount + freewheel pedals) using cyclone parts. Chain guard would probably be a good idea :)

Looks like some pretty serious reduction there too - certainly more than 5:1

Nice - freewheeling crank setup is also used on the Elation and Cyclone electric bike kits.

Yes, I think it is the same as the elation setup, but I thought the Cyclone loses your front dérailleur, which would reduce my bike to a 6-speed.

I considered the elation kit (price is same), but decided the range would be insufficient. Also seems to be limited to 300W.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes-ish. Cyclone has a 3 chainring setup (2 front gears) or a dual freewheel (so you dont need the freewheel cranks) setup so you keep all three front gears.

Comes in 2 flavours, 360W (also limited to 180/250) and 500W - 360W is more efficient (less of a battery hog) than the 500W, with only a 2mph penalty between the two on the flat. Get a decent battery (600WH) - and assume 12wh/klm - you get a pretty decent range (50klms or so). And its cost in electricity (assuming 15c/kwh) is only 9c assuming 100% DOD. Compare that to fuel.

Back