I am brand new to Motored Bikes and have a question.

Mike Lynch

Local time
5:55 AM
I have found a bicycle online that appeals to me for several reasons. I would like to consider it for modification / addition of a GEBE Kit. Since I am a novice on bicycles and engine kits, I would ask for other Forum Members opinions on the suitability of the bicycle I "think" would be a candidate for a GEBE Kit. Again, the bicycle I have found online appeals to me. I like the Green /Light Green color that is offered, I like the internal Seven speed hub and what appears to be a strong frame and wheels. Since I am so new, I have no experience to call on so I'm asking for help. I'll post the link to the bicycle I want below. If you would, please look at / review it as a potential candidate for a GEBE Kit. I asked GEBE for their opinion but they declined. I need to start somewhere but I do not want to make the wrong decision first on either the Bike or the Engine Kit. Thanks for your thoughtful response.

Best regards,

Mike Lynch

Bike being considered:

http://www.schwinnbike.com/usa/eng/P...c-Seven-Deluxe

GEBE Kit being considered:

http://www.bikeengines.com/info.htm

EHO35 35cc Robin/Subaru Mini-4

Hi Mike, welcome to the wonderful world of motored bikes! One thing you will need to make sure of with the Golden Eagle system is that there is enough clearance between the seat stays and the chain stays, to the spokes of the wheel for the belt drive ring. There used to be a sticky post somewhere on the forum about the clearances and installation info, but I can't seem to find it. If I do I'll post it here for you.
I'd like to suggest that you find a LBS (Local Bike Shop) that has that model, and would allow you to look at it in person and possibly take some measurements, please do your research before hand (as you have began to do in posting here) as this will not only make your installation a pleasure rather than an excercise in frustration, but in the long run will give many more miles of trouble free riding.

AHA!!!!!! Found that post- here's the link:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=7943

Last edited by a moderator:
I know internal 3 hubs don't work, or didn't back when I was axle mounting them, because the cable got in the way. AND if I remember correctly, the actual clearances were narrower, (space for the wheel and spokering to fit into) .

All's I've ever done are external sprockets, however.

WOW, that model used to run $450 in 2006.

Here the problem, Mike. Everything on the rear is in the way. With a full fender you either have to notch it to let the belt pass, OR cut the things off, like I did on these two $150 Schwinn Pointe Beaches.

No matter what type of bike you use, you are going to have to replace the rear wheel with 12 gauge, for flawless riding, and I highly suggest replacing the tubes with punctureproofs.

50% the bikes I build require a slight crimp in the frame to allow the spoke ring to pass clearly. A big massive Schwinn like this may have plenty of clearance, but I've never built one, so I don't know for sure.

Early on in 2005 I found the 7 speed Sun Retro Alum 7 (now called the Cruz 7) to have a bunch of advantages.

No crimp necessary, plenty of room for the spoke ring.
Half fenders, so the back one can simply "flip around", be out of the way of the engine mount.
Price-they used to run me about $280, now they are about $310.

I'll bet you could take any cruiser frame, and buy or make the components to get that classic Schwinn look, but not have that "in the way" fender/rack on the back.

Attachments

• 2008_1129hisherschwinn0001.JPG
    2008_1129hisherschwinn0001.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 268
  • thanksgiving 012.jpg
    thanksgiving 012.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 224
I have a Sun Cruz bike , single speed for sale posted , now. I am S. of Gainesville, Fl. If you look at this link, you will see a pix of it, & you can decide if you like the styling, etc., for a build. They work very well, very good quality, & you won't find a better bike for this price. ONLY- $100.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=18135
Esteban

Attachments

• SUNP0001.JPG
    SUNP0001.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 217
Hey bamabikeguy What kind of mirror did you put on that point beach.
Iam having trouble finding a good one for mine...

Back