Need Advice on 1999 Whizzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

go-rebels

Local time
6:51 AM
I have found a used 1999 black Whizzer in Charlotte for sale be a private owner. He hasn't ridden it in years and wants to get $500 for it. It is currently in storage at the back of his garage and I can't tell if it runs or not. He claims to have 369 miles on it and I thought that was pretty low until I read some of the threads about these engines. He claims it was put away in very good condition with no drops or crashes. He claims that the bike was running well the last time it was ridden.

What's your opinion of this bike? What is it really worth?

As a newbie with Whizzers, are there not aftermarket parts to be able to make the engine more robust, maybe good for a few thousand miles w/o a rebuild?

not the expert Whizzer person here on site -- sure they will in time chime in

500 seems to be a pretty fair price -- but - maybe you can get him down to around 400
I would ask the gentleman selling if you could give a try at starting it ?
some new gas and ? May just fire right up
be nice to know that the engine is tight
at least -- even if not started -- turn the engine over a few times -- not frozen up ?

Quenton Guenther would be one man to contact here on site -- much information...

sounds like it was put away in good condition
you may have came across a nice find ?

hope that it works out and you get to ride that THING

Last edited:
Hi Go,
The original WC-1 motor has problems with the valve seats. Thousands were spent to find a solution and in the end the answer is to upgrade the cylinder. Whizzer offered a kit for $466.10 plus shipping, however the kit contained several parts that were problematic. I have helped hundreds of Whizzer owners get their WC-1 motors running perfectly, and can usually help for less than the kit option.
If you can buy it for $500.00 I would suggest you purchase it right away, because in the end you would have less than $1000.00 invested, and a good running Whizzer is worth far more than that. Because of serious quality control issues on the latest models the older bikes [1999 to EARLY 2008] appear to far more reliable. I have many new edition Whizzers that I ride and many have over 6000 miles on them. I live in NC so I can help you if needed. I doubt you will exceed anywhere near 1000 miles with the original WC-1 motor, but who knows. Most usually quit between 450 to 650 miles, but I have been told [never seen one] that some have made it to 1000 miles before the upgrade is needed.

My advice is to buy it, and I can help you make it "bullet proof". I have lots & lots of Whizzer parts in stock, including parts for the original Whizzers [1939 to 1962].

Have fun,

Last edited:
That sounds dirt cheap to me. I bought my 99 last June for $1000. & it had 10 miles on it. At 100 miles the top end blew ( is blew a word?). Quenton got me running with the upgrade kit & it runs great!! I've done other performance upgrades too. 2 days ago I was going about 55 mph & broke my speedo. Mine speedo only goes up to 40. Who cares I love it. Now I can brag that my Whizzer goes so fast I broke the speedo ( probably just the cable). Buy it & get the upgrade kit & you'll love it.
Jay

Last edited:
Hi Quenton,
The tach gives me a general idea how fast I'm going but I'm not worried. I'm usually either stopped or wide open anyway. Ha, ha. You know me. I have all winter to get it fixed. I only ride now when it's above 40 degrees.

Jay... What were you doing going 55? You have more faith in your Whizzer brakes than I have in mine. lol

Hi Go,
The original WC-1 motor has problems with the valve seats. Thousands were spent to find a solution and in the end the answer is to upgrade the cylinder. Whizzer offered a kit for $466.10 plus shipping, however the kit contained several parts that were problematic. I have helped hundreds of Whizzer owners get their WC-1 motors running perfectly, and can usually help for less than the kit option.
If you can buy it for $500.00 I would suggest you purchase it right away, because in the end you would have less than $1000.00 invested, and a good running Whizzer is worth far more than that. Because of serious quality control issues on the latest models the older bikes [1999 to EARLY 2008] appear to far more reliable. I have many new edition Whizzers that I ride and many have over 6000 miles on them. I live in NC so I can help you if needed. I doubt you will exceed anywhere near 1000 miles with the original WC-1 motor, but who knows. Most usually quit between 450 to 650 miles, but I have been told [never seen one] that some have made it to 1000 miles before the upgrade is needed.

My advice is to buy it, and I can help you make it "bullet proof". I have lots & lots of Whizzer parts in stock, including parts for the original Whizzers [1939 to 1962].

Have fun,

Thanks for the post Quenton! This bike is with a 'friend' of a 'friend' and I don't believe I'll be able to see it until the new year. I really hope to pick it up as I'd like to do the upgrades as you suggest. I just finished doing CV joints on my '94 Volvo 850 so I'm looking forward to working on something a little smaller!

Go-rebels, I agree wholeheartedly with what Quenton says about the bike, it's definitely worth the investment. There are several people on this forum who can help you convert the WC-1 engine to NE standard and make it bulletproof, and he's one of them. Quenton really knows his stuff, and he's helped me get my NE5 running right as well.

JB - 55mph on a Whizzer? :eek: Better you than me! That would be scary fast on a bike as lightweight as the Whizzer (IMHO).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back