Where to find a manual/cable clutch for my 6.5hp honda clone

M

macarollo

Where can I get a manual clutch for my engine?

I just bought a 6.5 hp 196cc Lifan motor.

I do not have a clutch yet. I know centrifugal clutch is an option, but after having a HT kit I really like the manual clutch.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

You might get similar results using an engine pulley, a driver pulley and an idler pulley in between, with a lever and cable to control the idler pulley.

i have an outboard that is going on a bike with the same issue. i have been tossing around the idea of using an automotive air conditioner pump clutch with a potensiometer(spelling) and a rc car battery. the clutch is electric. just an idea.

i have an outboard that is going on a bike with the same issue. i have been tossing around the idea of using an automotive air conditioner pump clutch with a potensiometer(spelling) and a rc car battery. the clutch is electric. just an idea.

Does it smoothly engage and disengage? It seems like that would drop the clutch too quickly.

I have never seen a hand clutch for an ordinary implement engine. There is a clutch on a walk behind mower that uses a plate and sprocket drive, could be made to work. Also the standard clutch off one of the original Honda 50's could be made to work. The center of the clutch would have to be changed to a key drive and the gear changed to a sprocket with some machining. Just a thought. Have fun, Dave

Manual clutch, that's a good question. I'll admit a manual clutch is nice, and lets you use those low RPM to pull your bike. The manual-belt style clutch may consume belts quickly with a 6.5! :eek:

Another option for a Centrifugal clutch, is to get A Hilliard Extreme-Duty clutch w/1800RPM springs, and it will start to move your bike just slightly above idle speed (1400RPM). I changed my 2300RPM springs to 1800RPM on my 6.5, and have so much more useable RPM and power now.

I'm bumping this. I'm probably becoming an irritant on this forum, but I'm really getting frustrated. A manual clutch is the only method by which we can contemplate isolating leg power from the drag of the motor transmission while pedaling unpowered.... and maintaining the ability to pedal start the engine. This is the only way to make a TRUE 'moped'.

An electric clutch is not practical. The tiny motors we're talking about would spend as much energy operating the clutch as they would powering the bike, not to mention all of the electrical clutter that a manual version would do without. An idler pulley/slip clutch is a rotten solution.

There has GOT to be an option out there that is already being used on some consumer product or common enough in some industrial application that it wont cost 500USD. Why do I seem to be alone in working so hard to find or design such a thing? Anybody ever try modifying a small electric or centrifugal clutch so that it could be cable operated?

The need for this is so fundamental to a highly efficient motored bicycle that it just ASTONISHES me that it has not been tracked down in this forum. C'mon guys, open your minds beyond the knuckledraggin 2 strokes belted to the rear wheel!!!!!

Last edited:
Manual PTO clutch used on riding tractors.

They are just a disc and flywheel with a pulley (that you'd have to convert/adapt to chain) and they used a lever to engage it but it might be adaptable to hand lever and cable setup.

start by looking at "wheelhorse" tractors PTO clutch setup and you may get some ideas I'm sure many many others used these before the electric clutch craze.

These are a bit to big for use on a motorized bike type engine but you could probably make a smaller version of it simply enough.

Back