Harbor Freight - what sucks and what doesn't list

arceeguy

Local time
1:24 PM
Since we all like to tinker with mechanical things like our motorized bikes, and do it on a "low budget" - I thought it would be helpful to post which tools sold at HFT are good, and which ones are not.

I have found that most of the tools are OK if you are not a professional contractor/mechanic that depends on them every day - but there are some items that aren't worth the shipping from China. There's a reason why some have nicknamed them "horror freight". When I placed my first catalog order from them several years ago, they were "Harbor Freight Salvage". Where did the "salvage" go? I can risk $25 on a 4.5" grinder, but I wouldn't trust a HFT pacemaker!

Post your experiences both good and bad!

Also - let's not get into China bashing. It's all about getting cool tools cheap. For example, a HFT auto feed wire welder for 90 bucks can get a fellow MB enthusiast making custom frames where they wouldn't be able to afford the $500 Miller or Lincoln.

The Good-

Central Pneumatics 2HP pancake compressor. - I've had mine for several years now. It is oil lubricated with cast iron cylinder. Great for dusting things off with compressed air, and to run small air tools. I even run my IR 230C impact gun with it. (in short bursts, enough to knock off lug nuts with ease!) Can be had for $89 on sale.

4.5" Grinder - Had mine for about 5 years. It hasn't failed me yet! Gearbox is noisy, but my buddies Home Depot Ryobi is worse.

Bench Grinder w/flex shaft - I use this one a lot. I had to replace the brushes already! (it is about 3 years old)

3/8" butterfly impact wrench - Great for automotive work. Knocking off oil drain plugs, caliper bolts, etc. Small enough to fit in most spots, powerful enough to break small fasteners (less than 15mm bolt head) loose.

Electronic Fly Swatter - yep, this one is silly, but they had a pile of them on sale for $2.99. Kills flies and yellow jackets with a hearty "SNAP" and a bright blue spark.

Engine cleaning gun - add compressed air with some detergent mix and end up with a sparkling clean engine. (cars, lawn mowers, etc.) Works great on alloy rims blasting away brake dust with ease. I do have to crank up my 220V compressor to run it continuously, as the little HFT compressor cannot keep up.

6.5 HP Horizontal Shaft Engine - we beat the living carp out of these Honda GX clones and they keep coming back for more. Disable the governor, and keep it under 5000RPM! The ones I've purchased had the "Central Machinery" brand and were made by Lifan in China - a large motorcycle/scooter manufacturer. "Greyhound" is a new trade name for HFT. I have one of their new 2.5HP engines, but haven't powered anything with it yet. (it is going on a rack mount motorized bike project)

The Bad -

1/2" drive impact extension set - The metal is too soft and considerable energy is lost in the extension and not applied to the nut or bolt you are trying to hammer off. My Craftsman impact extensions are hard enough to transfer the power, yet not shatter like a standard extension would. The HFT set is the one I will loan out. :devil2: (Golden Rule #1 - Never loan out tools you actually want back!)

Anything cordless. (and less than say $35) The chargers are most likely overnight trickle chargers, the batteries self discharge in a week, the motors are not too powerful.

1/2" Drive Electric Impact Wrench - Rated at 240 lb/ft, I doubt it exceeds 120 lb/ft. Very disappointed. Another one to loan out. :)

1/2" Drive Impact Wrench - This one is kind of a toss up. For 20 bucks did I really expect it to deliver 250 lb/ft of torque? It doesn't, but I do use it quite a bit. I'll pull out the Ingersoll Rand impact if this one doesn't have the balls to do the job.

I also have the 52cc 900watt generator. Worth every penny. I ran the refrigerator off it this summer during a power outage with no problem. I have a larger generator for running TV's, lights, computers, etc.

Jim

Lots of HF stuff around here. In part: Pipe bender, 4.5 grinder(on my second one) 1/2" torque wrench, Deep socket set, 6" caliper, lots of different air powered tools. The Sawzall type cutter is a hoot. 2 cylinder opposed pistons connected with a rod that shuttles back and forth for the saw action. Put a BiMetallic blade on it and it goes through exaust pipe like it was nothing. I have an air nibbler, too. My favorite sheet metal cutter.

Bad stuff: HT drills of any sort. They're all junk. Save up for a good set, it's worth it. Only bad tool I've got and it's kind of suprizing with what others have said about theirs but the drill press I got drilled triangular holes:poop: I sold it.. no big loss. I have a Delta thats about 45 years old anyway. The TH drill press was so I didn't have to change bits on projects so much.

...although they DO have something new I want reeeaaalll bad. It's a bandsaw saw mill

http://www.harborfreight.com/lawn-garden/power-tools/saw-mill-with-7-hp-gas-engine-67138.html

I want to add, Northern Tool right now has a Klutch pancake compressor that's cheap and flows as much air as 3-4 of the smaller units. For it's size and price it moves a LOT of air.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200419182_200419182

Hmmm...can't edit old posts so an update. Got a pair of HF Pittsburg Allen wrenchs in SAE & metric. Don't know how long they'll last but for the on-the-road tool kit they're perfect. I also picked up the 188 piece accessory set for a Dremel. Nice, a bunch of grinders, brushes, sanding drums, drill bits and collets for about $17. As most of the Dremel stuff I had has disappeared over the years I kinda needed it. It will get a good workout seeing as I'm planing to rebuild the motor I got after I buy another one ment for much modifying.

I've been checking the price of the Greyhound 79cc the past few days. It's advertised at full price $139.99. Wonder if the demand is pushing up the price. You can buy the 6.5hp for less money.

I purchased a Harbor Freight Earthquake impact hammer and it is definitely a quality tool. I have to be careful when using it to remove parts because it's so powerful! It whips off bolts that have been severely rusted on to my sister's Scion which was purchased from Illinois. Bolts which are impossible to remove by hand fly off with the Earthquake. Note that this is with my Harbor Freight 8 gallon compressor which I purchased for $100. This is definitely recommended!

Harbor Freight has some poor-quality tools but if you do your research you can get some nice tools without shelling out a ton of money.

For Whizzers or other bikes with center stands

I bought some of the 3-wheel mover's dollies at Harbor Freight because my garage is so packed it's like a Rubik's Cube. One of these dollies under each leg of my Whizzer's center stand makes it easier to move the bike around in limited confines (my Whizzer is over 100lbs).
They're on sale at $2.99 each until January 27, 2011.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-wheel-movers-dolly-67208.html
I'm going back for two more sets, one for my EZ Motorbike and one for my '78 Puch Moped.

Attachments

• image_6090.jpg
    image_6090.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 700
Last edited:
Harbor Fart sells a lot of relatively inexpensive machines that have 2hp 2 stroke engines on them. Can any of these be used with a Dax friction kit? (I know the Auger motor 52cc is popular). (edit: Started a new thread about harbor freight machines whose engines can work on bike kits)

2hp 8 gallon compressor $99 http://www.harborfreight.com/media/...b33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_11469.jpg
image_11469.jpg

2.5hp air compressor $139
image_11486.jpg
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/...b33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_11486.jpg

portable generator 2hp $99
image_11382.jpg
]http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_11382.jpg[/img]

After you get used to powdered milk flavored water, it tastes a lot better. With a little $1 store chocolate syrup and a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar, it tastes a lot like a Yoohoo!

For toilet paper, if you have a tough ***, you can crumple up sheets of newspaper and put them in a pillowcase. Sit on it at every meal, tv show you watch, and time on the phone, being sure to walk on it or bounce on it to mash them up. Then put some in the Waiting Room to be sure you have enough "on hand". :poop:

If that is too much trouble, get a good pair of heirloom quality kitchen shears, and a stack of old tee shirts from Goodwill, your church, etc. Cut pieces sized for your particular style and save on TP over a year. Use walmart bags (don't even have to be a walmart shopper, you can get them in the recycle bin at front of store) to dispose of them in the trash. I used to know an old lady that got her beer money by doing that.

What sucks is having to choose between a quart of milk and cheap toilet paper to wipe my a$$ with after working 80hrs a week for $3 an hr.

Thank goodness for Harbor frieght tho, I can still afford tools because the Chinese make as much an hr as I do now that my unemployment ran out!

How are thier tarps guy's, do they hold up? I'll be needing a place to stay soon.

Last edited:
Hey great thread here. I am a HF shopper and have learned like you guys there are good and bad stuff from there.
First I will say this little Air Compressor http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...lon-100-psi-oilless-air-compressor-97080.html worked OK for about a year before I killed it. I think it sucked up too much paint over spray in my garage. Good for bike tires and such. Quiet too. My Craftsman is 15 years old and still works like new.
The angle grinder is OK for home stuff but I have killed 3 of those too. My Makita is strong and blows those orange grinders away but for $20 compared to whatever I paid for the Makita not bad for @ home. I will say the HF cutting and grinding wheels there are the only way to go. Way cheaper and almost as good.
I also have the 10" compound sliding miter saw. Works great but I don't trust the angle / miter settings. Works for steel too with a cutting wheel. Be sure to remove the red plastic strip on the table or it will melt with metal.
Oh yea and the fly swatters are the best thing they sell! Lol.
Also I have a few of the security cameras. Great for $30 each.
My opinion of the air tools is so so.

Back