Ridley motors update

hotrodlincoln

Local time
10:16 PM
I just checked Ridley motors website and they have some new pics up of their 1903 felt bike, looks like they are being made by felt with the fuel tank setup already. The standard felt bikes have a weld seam down the middle of the tank, the Ridley bikes don't have the seam. They also have a cool chain tensioner and some close ups of the motor mounts.
Check it out http://www.ridleymotorcycle.com/motorbike/

Sure look like stock HT's with decals.

Have you looked at the Derringer bikes? At more than twice the price? Those things are like buying a stock VW Bug for Porsche prices.

I wouldn't exactly agree SS. Those are LA prices; LA is expensive. Also those bikes have the nicest paint job going, there are some nice component upgrades on those bikes as well (70mm drum, Brooks saddle)!
On the down side I think that the fit is not particullarly excellent; for his price I would expect to see custom tensioner (if any), custom engine mounts and some more component upgrades i.e. neck, cranks, sealed bearing headset, etc
You and I could build/sell those for 1/2 what he is, but we don't lease a butique in LA. I wouldn't likely buy one (mb) already made, let alone pay his prices. In my view, though, Derringers has done other builders/retailers a huge favor! After all (like I said) I can build/sell simillar for 1/2 that, even less w/o overhead!

Last edited:
$559 for the engine kit- seems expensive, to be sure, but it is more than stickers. That price does include the nicest engine mounts I have ever seen. Hopefully it includes the custom tensioner and higher quality hand controls that are on their bikes (but it does not say so). Is there a warranty? Doesn't say. Looks like they replaced the bolts and screws with higher quality stuff. Also, that drive cover isn't stickers- look close- it's cast...how much is that worth? Depends on the customer.

All valid points. Which is why, if I were in the market for a ready built bike, I'd find a guy with experience and satisfied customers to refer to, and buy from him. At 1/2 Derringers price (or less).

When I was a kid I wanted a performance car, and I could afford any one I wanted (from my own earnings). I bought a 1967 model year Chevy Impala SS, after shopping around, at the beginning of the 1969 model year from a dealer desperate to get it off his lot. For cash. I'd use a similar approach to buying a motorized bike, except nobody builds what I want (for a price I can now afford).

I sometimes think I'd have been better off staying in the lawn/garden landscaping business instead of selling out and going off to college all those years ago.

I was told in an email from Ridley that the mounts would be available for purchase sometime soon and to check back on the site in the parts section. If they don't make them available soon I think I'll make my own version.

Ridley is now making a motorized Felt el guapo model with the thick brick tires Does anyone know who makes that rear sprocket with two sets of holes drilled?
here's the pics

Attachments

• iphone 157.jpg
    iphone 157.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 903
  • iphone 147.jpg
    iphone 147.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,598
That's just a chengine sprocket w/ extra holes; I'm sure Ridley does that. They are a m/c manufacturer.

u guys goota remember those are pictures, notice how there is no cables ran or anything. i am glad an american moto co. is sellin them cause iy will help with the laws around the moped issue,BUT these guys are trying to rob people blind! the Only thing the ridleys got going for them is a better motor mount and a better tensioner, kool gas tank. ALL NOT WORTH the insane asking price of these machines. i built mine for under 600 $ and it looks much nicer in my opinion and has every bell and whistle!! including new suicide shifter. it alllows for much more usable pull on the clutch, stronger parts, and a real nice long barrel adjuster. i am glad to see it but ppl should build there own lol.100_2160.jpg

in my humble but experienced opinion...

they're not helping anyone but themselves. even with some groovy upgrades (which many here have done at home) it's still way overpriced...this can't help the true MB-market, which has been struggling to bring some integrity to the table.

notice the legal disclaimer on every listing...they wanna sell you a novelty that's "maybe" legal, and then wash their hands of the deal.

Last edited:
Back