Push Trailer Idea...

M

macarollo

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/grd/889478681.html

I already called on this one... he already sold it.

Would this work for a push trailer? I would cut off everything in front of the rear axle/engine. Then I would build an attachment bar to connect the motor/axle to the rear of the bike.

Seems like this set up would make for an easy push trailer. 12 HP... simple change the gear ratio and you would be hauling!

macarollo, that is an insane amount of power for a bicycle, especially since most kits are offering 2hp or less.

Personally, I would avoid 12hp engines. Several members have had great success with 5-6 hp engines on push trailers.

A 6.5HP is powerful enough to go faster than you want to go. It's kinda heavy, but not like a 12HP would be!

But hey, if you can make it work, WHY NOT!!! :devilish:

I'd like to see someone make a trailer with psycho HP and high gears and a fast bike! I get tempted to use a 13HP for one when I see them at Harbor Freight sometimes.

Now if you want less weight, a Honda 50 would work, or an 80CC HF engine if you want more torque. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97964

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 569
  • Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 558
Last edited by a moderator:
I could see a water-cooled pocket bike engine, encased in the trailer, with the radiator underneath & airflow directed to it... With a hidden, high-performance, but very quiet exhaust system vented down. Two wheels, one driven. Maybe with a CVT. Plenty of push power, cargo space, and extremely stealthy. How do ya like them apples? -Nashville Geoff

That's a rather interesting engine.
These measurements are rather cool...... :geek:

Anyone else here see a Staton gearbox on that bad boy? :eek:

Or maybe even a Titan Box with the right spacer...

"But Officer! It's EPA/CARB CERTIFIED!!!" :D

The displacement is almost 80cc... maybe it can pass for a 50cc?

That would be nice. A gearbox would make things easier.

I'm building a bike with a 2.5HP engine, and I'll remove the HP and CC stickers from the engine, and claim it to be 50cc if necessary. It's MUCH smaller than a 6.5HP engine, so you could get away with it better. The block and cylinder is rather small, but it has a huge pullstart and OHV valve cover, but weighs less than 25lbs.

Due to the lowered weight of the engine, I've been tempted to remove my 6.5 from my push trailer and replace it with this smaller engine.

Last edited:
That's a rather interesting engine.
These measurements are rather cool...... :geek:

Anyone else here see a Staton gearbox on that bad boy? :eek:

Or maybe even a Titan Box with the right spacer...

"But Officer! It's EPA/CARB CERTIFIED!!!" :D

The displacement is almost 80cc... maybe it can pass for a 50cc?

If this engine's power range is at 3600 rpm, then no need to use Staton gearbox with 18.75:1 gears. You'd be looking for something near 6:1 gearing.

If this is a Honda X50 clone with 7200 rpm range, then either Staton or Titan gears would work...WITH the Honda X50 clutch adaptor.

If this engine's power range is at 3600 rpm, then no need to use Staton gearbox with 18.75:1 gears. You'd be looking for something near 6:1 gearing.

If this is a Honda X50 clone with 7200 rpm range, then either Staton or Titan gears would work...WITH the Honda X50 clutch adaptor.

It's 3600RPM for the 80CC

Using a 5/8-shaft 2300RPM Hilliard Extreme-Duty clutch on it.

Last edited:
Those snapper lawn mowers have a friction-wheel plate drive. No gear box. They do have a differential rear axle. I raced lawn mowers in the 90's. You can make snappers go fast but it is not easy.

Back