Auto Clutch Needle Bearings:

Hal the Elder

Local time
9:48 AM
I have my NE5 auto clutch apart for servicing the shoes.

What is the function of the three sets of needle bearings? There are two sets, each about 1/4" wide, with a set of larger rollers between them, about 5/8" wide?

I can roll the outer two sets with finger pressure, but I can't roll the middle set.

Does this have something to do with the "ratcheting" action, allowing movement in one direction only?

CURIOUS HAL
(Discovering a Whizzer riddle every day!)

Last edited:
Hi Hal, The center bearing is the one-way bearing used to lock the clutch when turned forward to start the motor. The 2 smaller side bearings are what the clutch hub rides on when not engaged. When the clutch is engaged the entire unit acts as one piece and rides on the two smaller caged bearings [some have more than 2 bearings] that the mounting bolt goes through. As you can see from the pictures I sent you I have a lot of modified hubs in stock [I just rebuilt another 51 hubs several days ago], so put it back together and ride Oscar. If you have any clutch problems I have any parts you might need in my stockroom to make Oscar happy.

Have fun,
Quenton

That's Good To Know!

A source of Whizzer parts right from Heaven!

HAL

(I have 102 posts already? Unbelievable!)

parts heaven

You're right Hal. It's a parts heaven. I was at Quenton's 2 weeks ago and had a wonderful time. My wife visited with Quenton's wife while Quenton showed me his inventory, bikes( antiques & newer models) & machine shop. What a time I had (thank you again Quenton). I have lots of pics I want to post of the visit but I want to edit them first because the proto-type is in some.

Back