Schwinn Chopper/3 speed hub/ powered thru the gears

I counter, I'm not 15 any more. Just getting the motor started with the shift kit, I'm ready to go back home.
Hehe, I know the feeling, we build a couple 2-stroke shifters every month and though they usually start right up, it does get exhausting if they don't.

If I use a S large enough that its only good for starting the motor and high speed use, when I shift on the right side the wheel speed will eventually catch the motor RPM and limiting low RPM use.
That I believe would be building a motorized circle made of chains. Also known as a chain saw. Not a pretty thought on a bicycle.
Yep, that is going to be an obstacle and I have no solutions to offer.

I'd like the ease of bump start combined with the hill climbing ability of gears. But I'm also looking to stay in one piece and keep the skin I've regrown... ;-)

The only other thing I can think of (other than pull start) is to add an electric starter and really make people scratch their heads...
Actually that is not as hard as it sounds.
You tie the electric motor to the JS to start the 2-stroke.
Still hard and heavier than your solution but they add virtually no resistance when not in use.

Good luck with it Peace.

Last edited:
I think I'll stick with the FW on the JS with a third S. The weight an electric start would add I believe would out weigh the drag created by the extra chain and sprockets.

I also have to point out part of the reason I'm attempting this is a stepping stone to an electric drive system that doesn't need to be charged. Though its not an origonal idea (as I had hoped), the main obstacle is the expense of a quality motor. Adding the JS w/FW to start the motor is so I will still be here to build the electric kit.

View attachment 54638

1932_thumb.jpeg

This is the kit/part I found on the staton.com site. I'll be using the JS motor mount I already have from SBP.

As for the electric kit, I found a vid on youtube (posted 2009) of a gent in Europe that added an alt to his electric powered bike.
The one thing I have over him is a circuit (not a solar panel) that will charge a battery with no external input. I can't wait til I have the resources to build that one!

Attachments

• 1936_thumb.jpeg
    1936_thumb.jpeg
    19 KB · Views: 317
Back